Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Flat roof coatings
  • yeager2004
    Free Member

Hi

Before the winter, I want to give my garage roof with some form of coating. It is a felt flat roof and it’s not leaking at the moment, but there are some small cracks in the existing tar like coating. I know for certain it’s not been done in the last 8 years ago; but it could very easily be 20+ years old. I figure re-coating it would be a preventative measure and might save me from any problems further down the line.

Looking around, the roof coating seem to either be bitumen or acrylic-based. The bitumen coatings are cheaper than the acrylic, but as I understand it the acrylic coatings (such as Thompsons roof seal) are more flexible and last longer.

Anyone had any experience with these types of products or can recommend any products?

Thanks guys!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

EPDM from somewhere like this!!
    Remove the felt and fit some of this using spray adhesive , I`ve done garage and three sheds, doddle and no worries for a while!!

eskay

+1 for epdm

Some pics of my garage roof on this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/roofing-repairs-advice#post-5278112

pk13

Epmd glued onto new ply wood fit and forget

yeager2004
    Free Member

Thanks for advise guys, EPDM looks good stuff.

My existing felt hasn’t deteriorated and there’s no water ingress, so I wasn’t planning on remove it. This is more of bit of preventative maintenance to try and stave off future problems.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just had our beach hut done in rubber (as above) – am well impressed!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

This stuff is amazing. Slap it on and forget about your roof for a long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-isoflex-liquid-rubber-black-2-1ltr/36010

fervouredimage
    Free Member

This stuff is amazing. Slap it on and forget about your roof for a long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-isoflex-liquid-rubber-black-2-1ltr/36010

Milkie
    Free Member

Parents have a fibre glass garage roof. 20 years and it’s still like its brand new!

isitafox
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a few fibre glass roofs, would definitely recommend it!

DaRC_L

This epdm stuff – could you put a green roof over it?

neilwheel
    Free Member

You can, will still need a drainage/root barrier membrane to protect the EPDM.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Parents have a fibre glass garage roof. 20 years and it’s still like its brand new!

Hmmm. Our beach hut (one of 7 in the row all with the same roofing) had a fibreglass roof which was 20 years old and it was just starting to go – the deciding factor though was that the bond between the GF and the wood had disappeared and the GF had actually blown off a couple of huts.
    The fitters were amazed it was still there as it was not held on at all and they simply lifted it off.
    Glad we’ve changed to rubber.

takisawa2

Flexacryl is good, but pricey, but good.
    Having spent hundreds trying to keep my garage roof alive I’d say EPDM.
    Leave the felt on & screw plywood down on top. Then glue the EPDM to that.
    Will be doing my garage roof soon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Flat roof coatings’ is closed to new replies.