Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Flat Pedals – Vault/NukeProof?
  • honourablegeorge

Looking for a new set of pedals for general riding… currently have eyes on the DMR Vault, or the Nuke Proof Proton/Superstar Thru Pin (Maybe with a Ti axle, ‘cos I’m worth it, and they’re on sale on CRC).

Anyone recommend one or the other? Or a good alternative?

ahwiles
    Free Member

nukeproof electron?

very light (350g), £35, grippy, seem to be quite tough…

(but they do feel a bit weird if your foot is in the wrong position)

honourablegeorge

Saw those. The idea of plastic felt weird.

mr_mills
    Free Member

The Superstars thru-pin Nanos are £43 at the mo, the same as the ‘normal’ Nanos (I think they’re normally a bit dearer but I might be wrong).

I’ve just ordered some in purple with gold pins (I’m not gay though).

mikey74
    Free Member

Spank Spike? Ultra-thin pedals are the way forward 8)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Kona wah wah from eBay traders same as nano thru pin about a tenner cheaper and not from superstar, the Ryan air of cycle mail order.

honourablegeorge

Don’t think the Spanks are available yet.

ahwiles
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Saw those. The idea of plastic felt weird.

but it works, the pins are steel.

(i can’t tell the body is plastic when i’m standing on them)

mr_mills
    Free Member

Kona wah wah from eBay traders same as nano thru pin about a tenner cheaper and not from superstar, the Ryan air of cycle mail order.

Yes yes but they don’t come in PURPLE!!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t touch the Vaults as I saw a pair snap in 2 places and he wasn’t even doing any ‘hardcore’ hucking. Apparently there have been a few other cases of this from others.

I’d have the nanos personally.

honourablegeorge

Really? Got any links/pics to this? Was about to go for the vaults too, had my voucher code entered on CRC and all.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I haven’t got an pics but I saw them cracked with my own eyes. Some other guys there also said that they’d seen some cracked in the same way before.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

mr mills, indeed, luckily the “any colour you want so long as its hammerite grey” Wah Wah is perfect for my gritstone (aka hammerite grey) Dialled Alpine 🙂

To be fair purple was the colour to have accessories in for a good 2 weeks of 1994 😀

Northwind

The Vaults look lovely but they’re expensive for what you get… Needs a pretty convincing argument to get me to look past the Nanos.

Ready2Ride still have some models of Nanos in for less than Superstar, but only in boring black.

nacho
    Free Member

I have vaults and love them, grippiest flats ever and sooo comfy. Bit worried about the crack comments although I did a jump last night, one of the pedals smacked into a rock on the landing and it’s badly scratched but not cracked (just went into garage to check!)

honourablegeorge

@Northwind – my main reason for looking past the Nanos is the width of the Vaults – the shape and extra width is exactly what I think my feet want, and the concave shape appeals too.

Kind of put off now though – there’s no sign of any warranty information on DMR’s website either.

honourablegeorge

Cool – word back from DMR. I’m going to get the Vaults.

The first batch of Vault pedals had a few that the cage bent so the pedal design got revised and the cage beefed up.

I’ve not had a single pedal back with the cage bent from the newer version.

ericemel
    Free Member

+1 for vaults

getonyourbike
    Free Member

ahhh… Get the Vaults then!

honourablegeorge

Newer versions have had the cage thickened near to the axl, like below.

DMR/Upgrade are very quick & helpful about answering emails too, so that bodes well for warranty stuff.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

is that concave? Or is the concavity in the centre of the pedal rather than the middle (along the spindle line), as I cant see it there, but it is there on the HT/nukeproof/nano/wah wah

bigbloke
    Free Member

I’ve got the Nukeproof Neutron which is great and is also basically a Superstar Nano.

BMC09
    Free Member

+1 for nukeproof neutrons grippy as anything. great pedal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals – Vault/NukeProof?’ is closed to new replies.