Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Flat pedals options under £40?
  • joebristol

Realised today I’m down a pair of pedals having sold my FS bike – got a new one coming Friday week.

My one remaining pair of flat pedals are Wellgo MG-1’s. They grip perfectly well for me – but since I’ve had 5-10’s they sometimes feel a bit narrow. The paint also came off really quickly in places so they look a bit tatty. Thinking I’ll put them on the hardtail that I mostly commute on / play on.

So looking for new pedals but not willing to pay more than £40, I’ve come up with the following list:

Dmr V8 (new thinner style)
    Dmr V12
    Superstar El Plastique (looks a bit cheap for my liking)
    Nukeproof Electron / Neutron
    Nukeproof Horizon

Any I’m missing? Some of the above are metal and some are plastic – the Nukeproofs have some replaceable pins and some plastic ones – have people found the plastic ones wear out quick then the pedals lose grip or doesn’t it matter much?

teethgrinder

SS El Plastique ‘look cheap’ to start with but the’ll look miles better than alloy after a year of use. They are pretty good – I bought some to try flats and they stuck well, but I went back to SPD’s as I prefer them.

Northwind

I’ve been really impressed by the horizon plastics, they weigh nothing, they’re strong enough for my use (on an enduro bike that does allsorts), they’ve got really good grip… The old Nukeproof plastic isn’t a patch on them

mark90
    Free Member

I use Superstar Nano-X, nice big platform. Best bought on one of the regular offers. Or speak to Bird and get a pair of the Chesters added to your new bike for £25

km79
    Free Member

You might be able to find a pair of Shimano Saint pedals for £40. Not to everyones taste when it comes to pin length/grip, but they are decent pedals.

onewheelgood

The Boardman Pro flats are nice for £34.99. If you can live with them having ‘Boardman’ written on them.

Poopscoop

Don’t be put off by plastic pedals.

As said, they still look good after ages, weigh next to nothing and are just as grippy as alloy ones if you get a set you get on with.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Race face chesters are great and just about on budget

joebristol

Mark90 – looks like an ok pedal the Chester but out of stock at Bird until sometime in June according to the website. Only thing is with the Chester is it looks like there’s a ridge down the middle where the axle goes where you’d want the pedal to be concave?

joebristol

Onewheelgood – I just sold my Boardman – got no problem with the brand. I had a look at those pedals in store and the body is a bit narrow – think it’s narrower than the MG-1’s I’ve got. Shame as they are slim / have nice smooth bearings / look nicely made.

mark90
    Free Member

Ah shame if they are out of stock as at that price they are a good buy. I didn’t notice any ridge or issue with them on demo bike yesterday. I didn’t really notice them at all, in a good way.

joebristol

Fair enough. For £25 I’d have been tempted to get some.

Any opinions on the DMR V12 vs the plastic pedals mentioned above? Looks like £25 ish for plastic pedals or the V12 is £37.

Also does anyone know if the platform is the same for V8 and v12 – is it just quality of bearings etc that make the difference?

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Nukeproof electron great pedals and only £23 at go outdoors.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=84&p=940&tb=001
    Carbon Cycles’ version of the original Superstar Nanotech.
    I’m loving my Nano X but never had a problem with the originals. Would have them over any DMR bar the Vaults.

stmachreth
    Free Member

I found some old V12s for £20, bearings still slick and they’re chrome so still look quality. Couple of quid for new pins and I call that a bargain 🙂

stmachreth
    Free Member

Joebristol, pretty sure for the older models at least, it was just bearings and number of replaceable pins that v8/12s differed on

joebristol

Like the look of the carbon cycles pedals. Both in metal and in the thermoplastic model they do – which at £23 is tempting the frugal part of me (after ordering a Bird Aeris in the last week)!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Another vote for plastic, I have both electrons and chester and like them both. Bearings seem to last so much better than the expensive pedals I also have.

joebristol

http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&c=127&p=1770&tb=003#top

Tempted with these – anyone running a set? For £23 they seem to have bushings and sealed bearings plus metal pins in a thermoplastic body. All the pins seem to be replaceable rather than some plastic ones which could wear down. Only thing is if he pins are long enough – although the one review suggests they are ok. With 5-10s I think most reasonable pedals should have enough grip?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Just bought some Wellgo MG1’s from Highon Bikes for my dirt jump bike. It was my first order with them so they give you a £5 discount making them 34.99 inc delivery. Another option

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone else has ever had a problem but I’ve managed to break my Nukeproof Horizon Comp after about 7 months.

joebristol

How to you break the Horizon’s?

I occasionally rock strike pedals on rocky climbs up – but have never actually damaged any. I think my current Wellgo mg-1’s are meant to be quite soft / easily damaged but not had a problem.

chakaping
    Free Member

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=84&p=940&tb=001
    Carbon Cycles’ version of the original Superstar Nanotech.

These.

Why piss about with plastic pedals when you can get these at such a good price?

NormalMan

I’ve had the original style Electron for years (2 pairs) and always liked them.

I tried the newer Evo version recently but couldn’t get on the shape change.

I then swapped them for Horizon comps. They were great. 5 rides and loving them BUT then have had to return them (the store is sending them back to Nukeproof under warranty) as the body came loose on the spindle. I tried tightening it but it repeatedly loosened during the ride.

I’m hoping I just had a duff pair as I reallyuse the feel and grip of them, oh and the colour too 😉

Northwind

jonnytheleyther – Member

Don’t know if anyone else has ever had a problem but I’ve managed to break my Nukeproof Horizon Comp after about 7 months.

saw pics of a broken one but then I’ve seen pics of broken vaults and nanos too, it’s definitely a thing that can happen…

joebristol

Fair points made. I’ve just ordered the metal pedals on the carbon cycles link above. £33 delivered seems a good price for cnc’d pedals with plenty of pins and which look pretty wide. Hopefully they’re a little wider than my current MG-1s but just as grippy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes and yes.

And the pins don’t fall out if you look at them funny.

joebristol

Sounds good then to me. Quite excitedly sat waiting now for my new bike, new dropper post and new pedals.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Those original SS pedals/Carboncycles/whatever are alright for the price.

I have some plastic NP Horizons which have been great – the size is spot on, the grip is on a par with my Vaults, and the bearings/bushes have already lasted longer.

As a plastic pedal sceptic, they have been great.

Goldigger
    Free Member

How do people find the raceface Chester’s? The thing that stands out to me is the flat nature rather than being concave over the axle.

eb2429
    Free Member

Nukeproof Evo Electron / Neutron or whatever they are called seem pretty good and only 354g

think they are £30 on CRC

GeForceJunky

I’ve been running these for a while and they are pretty good, reasonably grippy, lowish weight and a bargain for £19.

Nookie Pedals

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of Nano X’s, I’ve put them on several bikes now. Previously I had Nano Thrus as my fave. I’ve had Saint and didn’t really rate them although they were ok. DMR v8’s were a huge let down and bit my shins and calves on a very regular basis.

I’ve always been interested in those plastic/nylon platforms after a mate failed to kill a set of the Nuke Electrons over a couple of years but never took the plunge.

eb2429
    Free Member

Yeah i looked at the plastic pedals for a long time before taking the plunge. I couldn’t see anything near the weight for the price and as the pins were metal i thought it probably didn’t make a lot of different what the pedal underneath was like as you hardly touch it. I must say they seem pretty sturdy.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I was worrying about how concave the Chester’s were, but they’re great. Not noticeable at all.

kermit4king
    Free Member

I had V8s but have big feet and found them too small.

Got some nukeproof electrons for about £20 and been really impressed. Good grip big platform. Thin body and take a battering on rocks really well and no paint to chip off.

joebristol

I think out of the plastic pedals the neutrons / electrons would have been the ones I’d have gone for. The Wellgo mg-1’s felt really good until I got 5-10 freeriders – since then they’ve felt just a lot bit narrower than I’d like.

Will be interesting to see how the new pedals I’ve ordered are in comparison.

oink1
    Free Member

Nano X FTW!!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have Nanos, Nano-X and Nukeproof Electrons. All recommended.

Thought saints were rubbish. PITA pins and the loose ball bearings lasted no time at all. The Nanos are very easy to service.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals options under £40?’ is closed to new replies.