Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flat pedals, jumping, not crashing – how?
  • Pickers

So then how do I do this?
    Bought a set of flats to play on after years on spds and just can’t get the hang of bunny hopping or small jumps and keeping my feet on the pedals
    Give us a clue before I do meself an injury

jam-bo

scoop

will
    Free Member

Very hard to explain, you just get “it”

Keep trying though 😆

retro83
    Free Member

hard to explain but sortof point feet down and push feet backwards against pedals and pull up …

MrFart
    Free Member

Flexible, grippy sole’d shoes make a huge difference and you have to sort of push back with feet on pedals and lift with handle bars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhhhhh dear

What pedals/shoes are you using?

Your oing to have to learn to do it properly, you dont pull with your legs for obvious reasons. Do the following whilst rolling arround at walking pace, a slight downward slope helps a bit.

Crouch low
    Pull up on bars and push your feet forewards towards the front wheel, throwing your weightback

with a little practice you should be able to manual (like a weelie, but standing up and not pedaling). You dont need to be able to keep the front end up, but get it as fas as you can, might help if yoursoemwhere soft like a field so you can fall off the back a few times wihtour hurting too much.

To do the rear ride allong and angle your feet forewards slightly. Crouch down and do the opposite what what you did with the bars. Spring up and pull your feet back slightly to lift the rear wheels. As you get better you should be able to get the rear wheel quite high.

Now combine the 2, start off aiming to hop both wheels over a twig at walking pace (i.e the foront is already on the ground when you start ifing the rear. Then build up the speed untill your doing it in one fluid motion. Think of it as riding the bike over an invisible hump-backed bridge. Whereas previously SPD’s were lifitng you over the twig like a forklift truck (i.e. both wheels remaind just about level).

Pickers

Mr Spoon – blimey, thanks – comprehensive instructions
    I bought a set of DMR V8s – cheap enough at £20 to see if I could get on with them.
    Not got “proper” shoes yet – suggestions welcome

Chase
    Free Member

A good idea also is to lower your saddle because effectively what you are doing when lifting the back end is a tuck so there isn’t much space before your saddle hits your arse.
    Obviously you are not going to do this on the trails but it should help with your practice.
    Try borrow a smaller bike too – maybe a BMX. They are much easier to get the basics on.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pretty much any half decent skate shoes will be good enough.

i use some cheapy o neills off chainreaction.

cue everybody telling you must buy 5:10’s or you will fall off and kittens will die!!

Chase
    Free Member

Check out youtube as well. There is loads of stuff on there….

Just one of many….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIunH47qew

He’s on a full sus although I think a HT would be better initially as the FS soaks up a lot of the motion you need to lift the back end.

Another….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAem3L7Rlpk&feature=related

Pickers

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

Need to go practice now…..

flyingmonkeycorps

Weirdly I’ve just switched (on the hardtail mind) and I can still bunny hop, just about, despite being on clips for a year or so. I think the fact I used to be a skater probably helps, if you can get a skateboard in the air you can anything!

Cheap old knackered Vans work for me, I’ve no doubt 5.10s are better but they’re good enough for me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Your oing to have to learn to do it properly, you dont pull with your legs for obvious reasons.

I always have, no way of getting up onto picnic tables without, you just have to angle your feet correctly.

davidrussell
    Free Member

five tens are the best shoes on the market for grip. IMO of course..

soobalias
    Free Member

dont worry about pedal/shoe combination. learn the action first.

if you are going to buy shoes that stick to the pedals, you might just as well use spds.

flyingmonkeycorps

I don’t doubt 5.10s are better, they cost a lot more than a 20 quid bargain from TK MAXX though 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shoes/pedals –

To anyone that can ride flats properly, it makes precious little difference what you use. You can either do it, or you can’t.

I can bunnyhop a bike with SPDs fitted whilst wearing my slippers (I wouldn’t ride like that, but I can do it, that’s the point). It’s not what you use, it’s how you use it.
    😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals, jumping, not crashing – how?’ is closed to new replies.