Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Flat pedals and how to keep your feet on them.
  • lowey

Long time SPD user here who has just switched to flats. So far loving them, but struggling drops anything over 1′ and little jumps, my feet keep floating off the bike.

Is there a technique for keeping your feet on the pedals when dropping or in the air ? Otherwise loving the freedom of flats I have to say.

Cheers all!

somouk
    Free Member

Other than grippy flat shoes it may take some time for you just to get used to positioning your weight properly to keep your feet on the pedals.

rudedog
    Free Member

Could be technique/bad habit – I’ve heard that some spd users learn to pull up from the pedals to unweight the bike, maybe you are still doing a bit of this with flats?

kudos100
    Free Member

Rather than thinking about pulling up on jumps, think about pushing into the ground as if you were jumping on a trampoline.

MSP

Forward foot heel down, rear foot heel up, doesn’t have to be much to create grip. Also keep the pedal axle more under the arch of the foot rather than the forefoot.

And realistically the pedals won’t move away from your foot unless you do something to push them away, so don’t!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Dropping your heels always helps.

Bez

IME: Place the balls of your feet between the axle and the front pins; angle your leading foot up a little; angle your trailing foot down and push it back and curl the toes on that foot to grip the front pins. Keep your knees bent, of course, and use your legs.

mattbee

I went from 15 years of SPD use to flats last year.Sticky shoes help. Also pedal choice. Was amazed how much more grip DMR v8 have over Crank Bros 50/50 for example.
    Try and keep your heels down and don’t pull up with your feet, more back and up. sort of like scooping the bike up, if that makes sense?
    Took me a month of riding before I got used to them but I think I prefer flats now, even on longer rides.

smiff
    Free Member

don’t worry you will adapt. drop heels and bend knees. heavy feet, light hands. constantly push bike into ground. you’ll be tired at first you’re using different muscles. easier to start on an FS if you have one. SPDs have taught you bad things, i had this big time after 10 years on SPDs. still sometimes forget and get a painful reminder..

longj
    Free Member

Stand on the pedals and gravity should keep you attached

andeh

Spend a bit of time learning to bunny-hop correctly, this will definitely help!

You could also practice de-weighting the back end and possibly, if you’re feeling bored, some cutties on a nice, wet field.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Everytime I get on my mates bike with flats I end up with bruised shins or calves, and that’s in the carpark! Going from SPD’s to flats is horrible in my opinion. Makes you realise how often you pull up on the pedal, not just for jumping but when standing to sprint etc.

Guess you’ll get used to it. Dunno why you’d want to though ❓

edward2000
    Free Member

Point your toes down and as you drop, try to bring your feet round towards your ass, like you would with a bunnyhop. Pushing against the handlebars also helps keep your feet gripped.

beanieripper
    Free Member

bit like skateboarding really… unless you push em out the way they will stay right over the pedal where you left em…..spd’s for girls!

Northwind

The bottom line is you need to move with the bike. There’s all sorts of tricks and methods to that but they all boil down to the same thing, don’t jump off the bike, jump with the bike.

The nice thing is that if you go back to SPDs, it’s still useful.

baldman
    Free Member

You’re not alone on this! Just started using flats after 10+ years on spd’s and it’s taking some getting used to! I’m still pulling up with my feet sometimes (well trying to). Never been a good jumper even with the help of spd’s so this year I thought I’d make an effort to try and learn!

SaxonRider

I think that growing up in the first BMX era has really helped me here. Even after years of using no thing but SPDs, I found that, when I returned to flats, I had no problem because I don’t think I ever came to rely on being clipped in to help me ‘lift’ the bike.

I like the description of pushing into the pedal like using a trampoline.

beanieripper
    Free Member

flats rely on pulling up from the centre of the bike, the whole flat approach is much more seesawy (if that’s a word)

MadBillMcMad

what shoes are you using? 510 karvers for me – sticky as a stick.

foot position on the pedal. try putting the arch of your foot over the spindle of the pedal when doing jumps etc. It allows your foot to sort of wrap around the pedal.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Gaffer tape!! 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

Go back to SPD’s and save the bother.

jedi

keeep ball of big toe behind the axel. keep BOTH heels dipped . when unwieghted your feet will point down anyway

peterich
    Free Member

Ride more with them and you will naturally adapt
    But as someone said above learn to bunny hop with flats and then you’ll have them dialed
    Good luck and stop pulling your feet up

Ringo
    Free Member

Heels down

doug_basqueMTB.com

Jedi do you mean in front of the axel? FWIW I think, and I have been known to be wrong, that sticky shoes are a red herring. If you need them then you are doing it wrong. Like others say, press down through the pedals on take off, let the bike come up to you and it’s all very natural from there. I think you naturally point your toes and direct the bike. What I’ve seen people who are long term SPD’ers do is try to life the bike with their feet.

Anyway giving skills advice on the Internet is like trying to pull a girl by telling her how well you can wheelie. One of the good skills guys will be able to see what you do wrong in a second and put it right.

chris_db
    Free Member

“The nice thing is that if you go back to SPDs, it’s still useful.”

Very balanced, been on spuds for 20 years and wont be swapping! It’s good to see the benefits of both platforms.

Chris

jedi

yeah behind the big toe.. too much red wine………..oh hang on, never too much

gravity-slave
    Free Member

MSP has it, you need to ‘v’ your feet in order to generate grip. Drop leading heel not both.

Photos in here illustrate it a bit:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/flats-foot-positioning

jedi

you dont grip you oppose forces

smiff
    Free Member

so what the jedi is telling us.. is you use the force?
    let it flow through you?
    there is no grip?

hang on a minute i think i’ve just realised something profound.

Karl33to
    Free Member

17+ years on clips n straps etc. Switched to flats on my gnar bike last year, it took a while to get used to them but it’s definitely worth sticking with them.
    Some good advice on this thread too.

tmb467
    Free Member

I’m still giggling at an eagle riding a bike in gravity slave’s link

tmb467
    Free Member

Btw – pedals help

Just got a secondhand pair of burgtecs and I’m amazed at the grip ( no sticky flat shoes either)

Had some v8s and its a world of difference

extremo
    Free Member

+1 for the Burgtecs, way grippier than other flat pedals I’ve tried

generalp
    Free Member

highly recommend crc for some Sombrio mtb shoes. been riding with a knackered pair of Reef or Vans for years and finally invested. after resisting spending £60-70 on 510 or 661 filters the sombrio at £40 were a bargain and have made every ride since a lot more fun and the feeling of stability and being planted on the pedal is great. so i imagine this will help acclimatise to flats from spds.

epicyclo

Keep your bum off the saddle and your weight on your feet.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals and how to keep your feet on them.’ is closed to new replies.