Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Flat pedals?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, i've started to dabble in the world of flat pedals recently after 15 years with spd's! I seem to suffer a lot of pedal strikes and am getting preocupied with concentrating on pedal positioning on bumps and corners etc. I'm using ancient V8's at the moment and was wondering if anyone has been using them low profile style flats? are they better? or just a gimmick?
    thanks

I_Ache
    Free Member

I find mine loads grippier than my brothers V8s. Not done a back to back yet but hopefully going to later this week.

jedi

you need to place your foot with the pedal in the arch of your foot not under teh ball off your big toe like spds

BB

[Slight highjack]
    Jedi, would you recommend switching to flats if you were going to attempt learning to jump, or stick with what you know (SPDs)?
    [Slight highjack]

BigJohn

I've just gone to V8s after 40+ years of having my feet connected to the pedals. I expected it to be a problem but I'm pleased how well I get on with them. As Jedi said, I knew to stuff my foot a looooong way further forward than ever felt right (about half an inch, in reality, but it feels like a yard) and that seems to help.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

As long as your flat pedals are half decent and not some plastic affairs that some bikes arrive with, then correct foot position relative to the pedal will make the biggest difference … as BigJohn says, might feel a little strange at first though.

Stuart

heihei

Just bought a pair of Point One Podiums and after one ride am very impressed. Tried a set of Canfield Crampons but didn't get on with them. These seem to be the flattest of flats out there (outside of flypapers which I think require different cranks).

jedi

use what you're comfy using pedals wise

goog
    Free Member

I use one of each

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

So did Brian Lopes

Low profile pedals won't necessarily stop you getting pedal strikes. Thinner pedals just make it easier to roll the pedal under your foot to find the pedalling surface.

If you're getting pedal strikes maybe your BB is too low/cranks are too long.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Canfield bros Crampons here, and wouldn't go back to my v12's if you paid me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

burgtech MKII's 🙂

There's a reason XC racers use SPD's, shaven legs and flat pedals are not a pretty combination! I thought I didn't injur myself on them very often, but my legs say otherwise, maybe they've just gotten numb.

Pedal position is just something you get used to, I ride with my feet in the same position flats or clipped, riding with my foot foreward on the pedal just feels wierd.

freeridenick
    Free Member

wellgo B54s…
    about 26 quid on CRC – just as good as any twice the price.

foot position is very different though between spds and flats.
    centered for flats
    sole over pedal for spds.

highclimber
    Free Member

Kona WahWahs are what I use but I changed the pins to the ones in V8 pedals. love them. I find the V8 bearings a little too loose and the platform isnt as big.

cheshmatt
    Free Member

See this thread from last week: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/really-slim-flat-pedals-recommendations-plz

Few recommendations for thin flat pedals. As I mentioned on that thread I've just got the Superstar Nano Tech Flats. Previously had V8s and V12 Mags, wish I had changed a lot earlier. As said above the V12s are quite thick and do not have a very big platform. Plus they only have bearings on the outboard side of the pedal and a bush on the inside. The bush can be replaced but seems to develop play far too quickly for a £50+ set of pedals.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

wellgo B54s…
    about 26 quid on CRC – just as good as any twice the price.

Heh, thats what I thought till I clipped a rock with one and the axle snapped. Made of cheese!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive gone from b54's to superstar nanotech flats. very nice, and really grippy. getting some 5:10s for my birthday on thursday so i should be on to a winner!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

5.10s & Straitlines here..

Awesome combination IMHO…

ART

Another vote for the superstar nanotecs – prefer them to the V8/12s I thought I loved before.. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, must be a personal preferance thing, with the pedal right in the center of my arch it just feels completely wrong, like all my weights on the front of the bike, with my foot in the same place as SPD's would be the pins are in the arch of my foot and feel much better.

That and surely the concave shape of pedals makes it sensible to have the convex part of your foot on them?

Not something i ever thought about untill someone menitoned it on here, tried it their way and it just feels completely wrong.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

wtf? pedal in the arch of your foot for flats??

thats not how i use them. as with thisisnotaspoon, i prefer having the convex ball of my foot in the centre of the concave pedal.

as for pedals, i don't find it makes too much difference. i've used wellgo mg-1, some cheapo 10 quid jobs, and some V8s.

slight preference for the mg-1s as i've got big feet.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I still prefer the old Burgtec or DX jobbies, me.

freeridenick
    Free Member

your basically balancing on your toes when you can use your whole foot to spread the weight. plus you can "grip" the pedal better for bunny hops/rocky sections etc.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Riding on flats with the ball of your foot centred over the axle (as with spds) means that your ankle is quite 'weak'. This means your foot can more easily slip off the back of the pedal particulary when landing something … resulting in shin – pedal contact.

Moving your foot slightly forward helps reduce the problem, your foot will still fall into the concave of the pedal but will be much more stable.

Try standing at the side of your bike and putting a foot onto the pedal. With your foot centred over the axle you'll be able to drop your heel a long way down, apply some pressure and it should be possible for your foot to slip off … now try it with your foot more forward.

Stuart

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread.

I'm after some new flats.

I've been looking at the DMR v8s.

Can anyone recommend these or others of a similar value?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

V8s are a good pedal, but prefer something with a larger platform. Try Atomlab GI's for a much bigger platform at a similar pricepoint.

Cougar

Wellgo do what are essentially the old model of the V8 for like half the price (made in the same factory, I'm led to believe).

jedi

ridng flats at the front of your foot is a recipe for disater/sketchyness

Northwind

I know some people can only relate to how the pros do it, so…

My instinct's always to ride more on the toes, I guess it's my motorbike background but as soon as you get used to a more central position it just feels so much more planted.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I currenty use wellgo mg-1s but am steadly convincing myself (who am I kidding. I'm sold on thre concept) that I want some flypapers, yep you do need new (FSA) cranks for them, any other suggestions, Crampons or podiums? oh and where's cheapest?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have been using flats for a few years now and place my foot in the same position as with spd's. Never thought of moving my foot forward, but will be interested to trying it on my way home today. Hmmn.. interesting!

BigJohn

There's a professional cyclist round here who almost rides with his heels on the flat pedals.

Well, when I say pro, he does get paid for riding his bike, as do most postmen.

yoshimi

ridng flats at the front of your foot is a recipe for disater/sketchyness

…………very sore ankles!

chiefgrooveguru

Interesting. I've gradually been moving my feet forward but still nowhere near having the pedal under my arch. Will continue the shift and see how I get on!

For the ergonomics to work out the same, does this mean that you should ride with more saddle lay back with SPDs?

nickegg
    Free Member

Superstar Nano-tech on both bikes here…..superb with 5.10's.

EDIT: Shimano DX are pooh…too thick and you can't replace the pins, they just bend and/or snap off. Make sure you get pedals that have pins removeable from underneath!

sv

Slimm Jims for me and they have taken several bit hits (rubbish rider) and still run smooth. Nice and wide too.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Are pedals easy to fit? or should I get them fitted by a shop?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.