Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Flat pedal shoe vs wet weather
  • Earthquake
    Free Member

Am I missing something is or there no decent wet weather flat pedal shoe on the market??!!
    Shimano AM7 get shet reviews and Five Ten Elements seem to not be waterproof at all and have full on laces at the front collecting mud n wet..

I’m in west wales, it’s wet year round, I wanna ride flats!
    I need some help…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I like my Vaude shoes but haven’t ridden them tons..

ceepers

These are not bad

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/five-ten-freerider-elc-review-2016.html

Grippier but slightly wetter than the old shimano am45

I prefer them though

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I’m not sure they exist. I have the shimanos and they are ok. The 510s I have are older and like a huge sponge. I keep thinking about trying some gortex walking shoes I have – don’t know if anyone else has tried this? Doesn’t stop water coming in from the top though.

Northwind

Elements are the best I’ve found- they’re not waterproof but they do some fending off of splashes etc which does help.

(worth mentioning I got the EPS Highs which are supposed to be a winterised Five Ten, but they’re for dry cold- they forgot to waterproof them!)

chiefgrooveguru

Five Ten ELC are pretty good! Like the normal Elements but with a lace flap and slightly tougher sole.

Earthquake
    Free Member

Thanks dudes

I hadn’t heard of Vaude.. these look perfect- VAUDE Moab Mid STX AM

And some Elements for drier days..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just read the STW review on those Vaudes

For me there have always been two main downsides to riding flat pedal shoes: an inability to stand up (off the bike) when the going gets too slippery or steep for pedalling,

My reaction to this was – “U WOT M8?” – I can’t remember a time on decent flat pedals having ever slipped a foot whilst wet or climbing. ❓

Earthquake
    Free Member

“(off the bike) ” it says..

These Vaudes aren’t exactly available many places..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hah.

I read that as off the saddle.

Too much caffeine today I think.

roverpig

Just finished my first Scottish winter with a p[air of VAUDE Moab Mid STX AM. They were pretty stiff out of the box, but have softened up nicely with use. The sole is still nice and stiff though. They’ve kept my feet dry on some very soggy rides, stream crossings etc (with waterproof socks when it’s really horrible). When they do get wet they dry out very quickly unlike my previous Five10s which took all week! Most importantly the Five10s never lasted more than one winter without looking pretty much shot, whereas these just look nicely broken in. The bits of tread on the front and rear do seem to help on hike-a-bike up muddy, grassy or snowy slopes too. Not cheap, but no complaints really.

Got mine from Cotswold Outdoor.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My Teva Links were great wet shoes, waterproof body, waterproof laces – can’t stop it pouring in the top but what can, almost as grippy as 510s.

Sad they don’t make them anymore

RustySpanner

5 10 EPS look pretty waterproof.
    Not sure where the water goes once they fill up though.
    Primaloft insulation too, might be a bit warm in summer?

I’m going for the Giro Jackets, waterproof-ish, but will drain.
    Sealskinz or big thick socks for winter.

Northwind

Rusty Spanner – Member

5 10 EPS look pretty waterproof.

They do, they’re not though. The upper is way less water resistant than the Elements, I gut wet feet literally the first time I splash through a puddle. I’ve plastered mine with waterproofing stuff but they’re still not great. They are warm, though- good in dry cold.

RustySpanner

Ta for that.

Dry cold?
    Don’t get much of that round here.
    🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Whats bad about the am7? Ive been in them for a year and have no complaints. Saved my feet against rocks many many a time, dry overnight and feel good. Also better grip when hiking ya bike.

lowey

Sports Direct cheapo walking shoe or boot for me.

£20, reasonably waterproof and last ages. Perfect for my riding as I do a lot of hike a bike.

Grip fine on a superstar nano.

longmover
    Free Member

How about the OWN FR-01, the fleece liner is warm even when wet and they dry quickly. Pricey but a really good shoe.

legend
    Free Member

darrenspink – Member

Whats bad about the am7? Ive been in them for a year and have no complaints. Saved my feet against rocks many many a time, dry overnight and feel good. Also better grip when hiking ya bike.

The horrendous lack of grip when compared to 5.10 is the problem, seems to get far worse when wet too. I bought a pair as an emergency purchase after I forgot my shoes one day (liked the idea of them anyway) and found them badly lacking from the get go. The sole quickly got too soft for my liking too.

On a side note. I’ve long been thinking about sending them away to get a decent sole put on, does anyone know if the construction changes at all if you do that? (ie will they maybe get a bit stiffer?)

nairnster
    Free Member

Freerider ELC here too. Teamed them up with some Dexshell socks and were great over the winter.

gelert
    Free Member

I’m in was-dusty-that-was-summer-now-wet North Wales. I ride in both the 510 Freerider Elements and the newer Freerider EPS High and the EPS High are massively better at fending off bogged out trails – up to a certain point anyway. That point is much longer / further than the Elements though.

I did some rides at the end of winter where I put on waterproof over trousers + coat and just went for it through the worst conditions ever – it was loads of fun. The EPS High were great that day. My feet were warm. It was my Endura “waterproof” gloves that gave up first – soaked through.

I used to ride the older Shimano AM41s and they were pretty useless all round although at the time I thought they were pretty ok. I was fine grip wise but got wet and cold quickly and they just got really really heavy and took a week to dry out. Then I tried 510s and realised the Shimanos were also useless grip wise!! Then they made the blue flash version and I didn’t bother.

510 convert. Lasting longer than the Shimano’s too so far.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Specialized 2FO and some good Sealskin socks- used over two winters in NW England so far, Quick drying and only ever had damp BUT WARM feet with this combo.

RustySpanner

They may well make my feet feel like they’ve been massaged by Kylie using her own tears, but:

No.
    I would honestly give them a go, but that’s wrong.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Of course!! the colour!!! the single most important thing in 21st century MTB culture. smdh. For the benefit of the OP, the ones I ride-and that are still available in several retail stores- are all black fwiw. Imelda Marcos above, seemingly unaware.

RustySpanner

🙂

I have a pair of these I wear in public..

…and I usually dress like a 10 year old but honestly, there are limits.

I like the black ones, but I’ve been to three lbs’s trying shoes on over the last couple of days and prefer to buy locally.

No big deal, I just think this years colours are gopping.

lowey – Member
    Sports Direct cheapo walking shoe or boot for me.

These were great for me for ages too, but the sole came away from the last couple of pairs we tried.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I use 510 freeriders and just put up with wet feet, if it’s cold I’ll just wear merino socks.

I’ve got 2 pairs so I’ve always got a pair drying out when it’s wet. I reckon a pair of wet freeriders must hold about a litre of water judging by how long it takes to dry them 😆

RustySpanner

Just picked up a pair of Giro Jackets.
    In black.
    🙂

Just started raining so I’ll try them in the wet later.

The 5 10 Pros were slightly wider, but the Jackets just felt so much more substantial and a bit stiffer too, which I prefer.

Just had a quick spin round the park and they feel spot on.
    Wider than the Shimanos and stiff enough.
    Bit of ankle protection would be nice, a mid version would be perfect.

Went up a size, fine with Sealskinz and thinner socks.
    Happy.

Great service from the Cycle Factory in Todmorden, thanks folks.

Hope this is of use!

pipiom
    Free Member

Or these in winter……do me fine in IOM

http://www.fiveten.com/us/guide-tennie-gtx-mid-black-red

thejesmonddingo

Adidas Terrex Trail Cross MTB,if you can find them,stealth sole and waterproof.

dienamic

I picked up a pair of five ten Diddie Schneider from CRC for less than £35 a couple of years ago as a cheap foray into flats. I’ve worn them twice a week since, through 2 winters, and they’re still going strong. Never get wet feet (except over the top), always warm, steel toes for rock strikes, I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do when they die. If you can find a pair, jump at them!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal shoe vs wet weather’ is closed to new replies.