Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Flat pedal curious – shin protection
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious.

Nup, been riding off road like that for over 50 years[/quote]

This is one of these “we’d need to see you” situations. 🙂

My girlfriend put a horrible scrape onto her shin with Vaults, which she was very upset about as it was painful and she was worried about being permanently ruined for skirt-wearing. Bought her a set of fox youth knee and shin guards, and it made a huge difference to how happy she was about riding generally.

muggomagic

When pedals were predominantly rubber we used ‘tackets” ie steel studs in our shoes, so there was grip, but the pedal couldn’t injure you. Maybe the pedal/shoe interface is the wrong way round and the guys in the early part of the 20th century had it right.

Looks like you might be on to something.

Have you seen the news?

kayak23

muggomagic – Member
    When pedals were predominantly rubber we used ‘tackets” ie steel studs in our shoes, so there was grip, but the pedal couldn’t injure you. Maybe the pedal/shoe interface is the wrong way round and the guys in the early part of the 20th century had it right.

Have you seen the news?

4 years ago (halfway down the page) I ‘invented’ the above news story about inverting the rubber/pins.

I shall await my fat royalty cheque! 😆

muggomagic

Looking forward to the what bike shall I buy with my fat royalty cheque thread.

epicyclo

muggomagic – Member

Have you seen the news?

Spotted it later in the evening when it was to late to edit my post. 🙂

BigDummy – Member
    ‘Obvious troll is obvious.’
    ‘Nup, been riding off road like that for over 50 years’
    This is one of these “we’d need to see you” situations.

I’m curious as to why you think that would not provide good grip on the pedal. The lugs on the shoes are deeper than the pins on a flat pedal and they work just as well in mud as dry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m curious as to why you think that would not provide good grip on the pedal. The lugs on the shoes are deeper than the pins on a flat pedal and they work just as well in mud as dry.

I’ve tried wearing walking boots on big hike a bike days, problem is that the pedal grips at set ridges, or lugs as you call them, and doesn’t allow me to place my feet where I want.

So no use really.

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    …I’ve tried wearing walking boots on big hike a bike days, problem is that the pedal grips at set ridges, or lugs as you call them, and doesn’t allow me to place my feet where I want.

So no use really.

It all depends on the pattern of the lugs on the shoe. 10 minutes with a sharp knife can fix that and you can put your feet exactly where you want them.

muggomagic

One of the many things I like about flats is that I can ride with any shoes. Sometimes I just wear a pair of my normal trainers for messing around practicing etc. Don’t want to be putting studs in every pair of shoes I own.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It all depends on the pattern of the lugs on the shoe. 10 minutes with a sharp knife can fix that and you can put your feet exactly where you want them.

Aye, go for it. I’ll stick to my Fivetens and Burgtec pedals, thanks very much.

submarined
    Free Member

My experience with cut down hiking shoes on flat pedals was that it felt like I was wearing cut down hiking shoes. There is absolutely nothing like the level of grip you get with purpose made shoes. After 20 years of riding flats with trainers/hiking boots I’ve finally got some ‘proper’ purpose made shoes and it’s nothing short of a revelation.

I suspect you’re not doing the sort of riding for which flats are particularly suited, but by the same token I’d suggest that as such, you may not be in the position to tell the world’s flat pedal users that they’ve got it all wrong.

kayak23

muggomagic – Member
    One of the many things I like about flats is that I can ride with any shoes.

Not a problem for spds either 😀

epicyclo

submarined – Member
    …I suspect you’re not doing the sort of riding for which flats are particularly suited, but by the same token I’d suggest that as such, you may not be in the position to tell the world’s flat pedal users that they’ve got it all wrong.

Surely it’s the injuries which are saying they’re wrong, not me.

Aye, go for it. I’ll stick to my Fivetens and Burgtec pedals, thanks very much.

How are Fivetens for hike-a-bike? Doesn’t look like there’s much grip except on dry surfaces.

epicyclo

submarined – Member
    I suspect you’re not doing the sort of riding for which flats are particularly suited, but by the same token I’d suggest that as such, you may not be in the position to tell the world’s flat pedal users that they’ve got it all wrong.

Sorry to come back to this – missed the edit because I was looking for a photo.

I don’t know what sort of riding flats are suited for because I don’t use them, but when I raced at Ft WIlliam in the World 24 hours, the course went down a portion marked with a big warning sign not to ride it without full face helmet, armour and a suspended bike.

I rode it with a dropbar rigid singlespeed and did ok for my age group. More importantly my feet didn’t come off the pedals and I didn’t lose control. I reckon I was getting jolted around far more than the guys on their full suspension bikes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How are Fivetens for hike-a-bike? Doesn’t look like there’s much grip except on dry surfaces.

They are fine on wet rock, they’re only shit on wet grass/gloop, which tbh none of my hike a bike days really feature.

epicyclo

They are fine on wet rock, they’re only shit on wet grass/gloop, which tbh none of my hike a bike days really feature.

I’ve always got mud somewhere and peat bogs, even on what started out as a road ride… 🙂

However I’ve been looking at those Freection pedals featured in Singletrack.

Apart from the mud factor, these look like a great idea for winter – get off the bike and you have grip on your feet, and none of this flailing around like a new born Bambi on slick ice. My wife would kill me if I walked in the door wearing spiked shoes though. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Those pedals and pinned trainers are 20 days too late for april fools.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal curious – shin protection’ is closed to new replies.