Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Flat out wrong search and rescue content
  • Pigface
    Free Member
    IHN

I heard this on the radio this morning and, whilst I admit it made me feel uneasy, I’m not really sure why.

What’s wrong with it?

(please can we stick to the facts of the proposal, and stay away from ‘Tories want to privatise everything, Dave won’t be happy until the NHS is in private hands’ ranting…)

portlyone

Seems like they’ll be more coverage and a quicker response time? I assume the people on the front line will be the same, just transfered?

IHN

I assume the people on the front line will be the same, just transfered?

I doubt that, I’m not sure you can TUPE someone out of the armed forces to a private provider

portlyone

True, but you’ll get guys moving for better pay?

somouk
    Free Member

I suspect this will end up with better response times and certainly better aircraft, our search and rescue fleet isn’t the best.

The test of time will be the issue here. If the Government realise they can’t put pressure on them when they start under performing, it’s a ten year contract that will be tough to get out of.

The other option is that the actual crews will remain the same but the running of the system and and the aircraft will be what is privatized. That would probably be the best of both worlds.

Nick

I’m not sure you can TUPE someone out of the armed forces to a private provider

Yes you can.

footflaps

You do wonder how much commitment the S&R people will have as private employees as opposed to Military personnel. You could also imagine the whole thing becoming a Health & Safety nightmare and refusing / not being allowed out when the conditions are anything other than perfect.

Does seem a bit daft as any logistic change they make, they could also make under the current ownership.

aracer
    Free Member

True, but you’ll get guys moving for better pay?

I understand Wills is negotiating right now – after all with a baby on the way things are going to get a bit tight.

LHS
    Free Member

Larger coverage
    Faster response times
    More sophisticated equipment
    Same cost to tax-payer
    Fixed price contracting de-risking overspend
    Reduced management overheads

Coyote
    Free Member

aracer, that was my first thought too. New wife, first kid on the way. Not long since moved into a new gaff. This couldn’t have happened at a worse time for him. Hopefully he will have a good family network to support him.

legend
    Free Member

That was my thinking too, are civvies really going to be able/allowed to put the machinery into some of the “interesting” situations that the RN/RAF do?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Seems odd that Caerarvon will be a S&R base when RAF Valley is pretty close. Better location for Snowdonia though I guess.

Lifer
    Free Member

Plus new equipment being built in UK, one bit of privitisation that actually looks good.

Probably cheaper pensions too…

IHN

Yes you can.

Fair enough.

are civvies really going to be able/allowed to put the machinery into some of the “interesting” situations that the RN/RAF do?

This is a valid point.

The-Beard

The other option is that the actual crews will remain the same but the running of the system and and the aircraft will be what is privatized. That would probably be the best of both worlds.

Isn’t that what would happen anyway?

Stoner
    Free Member

You do wonder how much commitment the S&R people will have as private employees as opposed to Military personnel

I think that’s rather insulting to the Bristow employees. That’s quite a grave insinuation there.

IHN

Stoner – I’m not sure it was meant as an insult, more as another way of putting

are civvies really going to be able/allowed to put the machinery into some of the “interesting” situations that the RN/RAF do?

and

You could also imagine the whole thing becoming a Health & Safety nightmare and refusing / not being allowed out when the conditions are anything other than perfect.

How many private companies purposefully put their employees in harm’s way? And, especially, risk the lives of their employees to save the lives of others? It must be a bit of a contractual minefield.

phil.w
    Free Member

Larger coverage
    Faster response times
    More sophisticated equipment
    Same cost to tax-payer
    Fixed price contracting de-risking overspend
    Reduced management overheads

All that and they still expect to turn a healthy profit for the shareholders/owners/management bonuses. 🙄

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the raf/navy actually bid for the contract? With all their cuts coming in, chopper fleet up for renewal and the need to keep experienced pilots and crew in the UK, is it really in their best interests?

binners

Its a good thing that all the advantages claimed for any service about to be privatised always materialise without a hitch. And that prospective bidders don’t make unrealistic claims during the bidding process, that then fail to materialise, or cost considerably more than first suggested.

I’m sure I’m just being cynical, and worrying unnecessarily as the bidding process was so open and transparent

neninja
    Free Member

My knee jerk reaction was that it is wrong.

If it delivers what they’re promising it should provide a better service with considerably better aircraft.

I’m struggling to work out which station will cover the patch that Boulmer previously covered.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s a two-part sting. First the service is privatised, then the privatised SAR service will bill the rescued, or the insurance company of the rescued for the rescue…

IHN

It’s a two-part sting. First the service is privatised, then the privatised SAR service will bill the rescued, or the isurance company of the rescued for the rescue…

Actual fact, or conspiracy theory?

matt_outandabout

It will deliver shiny helecopters and lower cost.
    As above though, will civilians and a profit-driven company allow the risks that the military currently accept and step up to the plate for, even when the costs can be massive?
    Memories of Ben More and the Wessex Crash on 1 Feb 1987.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What do you think?

IHN

I think conspiracy theory, I was giving you the chance to admit it 🙂

footflaps

That’s quite a grave insinuation there.

No, it’s a genuine question.

Working for Queen and country is very different to having your shifts messed about and working short staffed so you can boost profits to make this quarters targets and get your CEO his performance related bonus.

You can take a highly dedicated professional employee and completely demotivate them with the right (or wrong) management style. Up to now S&R works for the good of the country, however from now on it’s sole purpose is to make a decent return for the investors (no different to Tesco, Amazon etc).

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t be suprised if it happens.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I heard that they will have performance goals, like traffic wardens, and have to rescue at least 5 people a day…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

See what’s happening with the New Improved police helicopter service and worry

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wonder what it it’s latinized name will be?

Salvata, anyone?

ratherbeintobago

IIRC the Coastguard SAR helicopters are already outsourced.

ratherbeintobago

Double post

footflaps

I heard that they will have performance goals, like traffic wardens, and have to rescue at least 5 people a day…

If it’s a fixed price contract then the motivation will be to minimise call outs to maximise profitability, so you can see more arguing between the services as to who should attend, eg S&R insisting the Police turn up and verify the call out before they wind up a chopper.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Its a good thing that all the advantages claimed for any service about to be privatised always materialise without a hitch. And that prospective bidders don’t make unrealistic claims during the bidding process, that then fail to materialise, or cost considerably more than first suggested.

^^^^these were pretty much my thoughts on hearing about this along with….

‘Tories want to privatise everything, Dave won’t be happy until the NHS is in private hands

Bristow already provide SandR services in a number of countries, including Holland and Australia so I wonder how they’ve performed there?

DM52
    Free Member

Correct – SAR in various areas has already been outsourced, CHC took over a contract that Bristows had run successfully in 2007 for four sites. As companies they also run SAR in other countries as well.

vinnyeh

You do wonder how much commitment the S&R people will have as private employees as opposed to Military personnel. You could also imagine the whole thing becoming a Health & Safety nightmare and refusing / not being allowed out when the conditions are anything other than perfect.

Nobody questions the commitment of Mountain Rescue which is staffed by volunteers.

Secondly, I would imagine that the operation will largely be staffed by ex-forces sar, so would expect a similar degree of commitment.

footflaps

Nobody questions the commitment of Mountain Rescue which is staffed by volunteers.

Because they do it for a sense of duty.

Very different to doing it to make your CEO rich.

Motivation is as much to do with the reason for doing the job as it is about the job itself. Being a volunteer / soldier is very different to being a private employee whose sole purpose if to make a return for shareholders.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

err, because they do it for free to save people rather than as employees of a company do it for profit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Flat out wrong search and rescue content’ is closed to new replies.