Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Flat full of fleas!
  • gusman2x
    Free Member

The only thing we fond to work for the house was from the vets. It’s called Vibrac. Superb

And for the animal itself, the best we’ve found is Stronghold, again this has to be gotten from the vets.

mrmo
    Free Member

IME frontline doesn’t work, Advantage does. I am guessing, fleas are building up resistance to the former and in time will to the later, but haven’t yet.

Vacuum and treat the cat, the problem will go away.

wwaswas

suck up them scented petals/seeds/odd planty bits that appear by magic in dishes on window cills

[ian paisley voice]

This is a good protestant household – no potpourri here!

[/ian paisley voice]

anniison
    Free Member

Another vote here for Indorex or Acclaim sprays, both work very well from experience.

As its not been mentioned you can buy a short acting treatment called capstar, its amazing stuff, and what kennels often give animals that come in with fleas. It kills every flea on the animal over a short period, but sadly doesnt last longer than 24 hours. The mass flea genocide debris it generated from one cat was unbelieveable, considering we had been using spot treatments/collars/combing and were only seeing the odd few when we did.

We did the following to eliminate an infestation we couldnt get rid of previously: Spray a small area of the house to kill any live fleas or eggs, youll want to confine the mog to this area next (we used the en-suite).

Give the capstar and lock the cat in the sprayed area for a good few hours.

While the cats locked in the area spray the rest of the house to kill anything thats left. Means all the fleas on it are now dead, and no live fleas are left in the house.

Use a spot on treatment like Advocate as you let the at out of its prison, so any eggs left on the cat cant hatch due to the spray/spot treatment.

Never had a problem since 🙂

fr0sty
    Free Member

Thanks so much for all of the lengthy and well informed posts guys, it’s certainly given me plenty of options. Truth be told i’m a little confused by the many and varied products out there…

I’ve just spoken to the local council who will charge £40 (pensioner rate) to spray the flat, and a local company who will charge £120 to spray but will return if fleas have not died out after 21 and re-treat.

I like the idea of the smoke bomb thing as this is clearly not just a couple of rogue fleas. The cheapest quote for the bomb though has been £190!!

Could the DIY route be as thorough, yet cheaper?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Bombing does not work. Go cheap and end up paying forever.
    Fleas also carry disease that are harmful to humans

nemesis
    Free Member

£40 for the pensioner rate sounds like excellent value so long as you can clear the house for 24hrs or whatever it is – I’d certainly be looking at a professional for an infestation as bad as you’re describing.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Flat full of fleas!’ is closed to new replies.