Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Flat feet
  • jonba
    Free Member

I went for a physio session the other week. As part of the assesment he was assesing my movement. He pointed out that I had flat feet, something which I had never really realised. He did mention a few issues it would cause (my knee turns inwards putting stress on my IT band). I’ve never really noticed although it does explain why a very nice/expensive pair or road shoes with a high arch were crippling when I used them and I had to sell them on.

Got a podiatrist appointment as a follow up but has anyone here got flat feet and does it actually make a big difference to anything other than shoe fit? Hoping for a I got a shoe insert and a free 20W type stories 😉 but it seems unlikely.

longmover
    Free Member

I have arch supports and wedges in my road shoes, the really help my knee track straight whilst pedaling. Now I get far less knee pain on long rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got flattish feet, I use expensive insoles for my bike shoes.

It was the Varus wedges to correct my wonky knees that resulted in the free 20w though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I seem to have spent decades working my way back up the chain. Started with orthotics which helped. Then looked at core strength which helped a lot more.

My wife is in the same boat but it now looking at toe spread which actually started while looking for a non surgical solution to a bunion.

Softer, wider shoes and things called Correctoes have made her feet stronger so she no longer needs the orthotics.

Tempted to try these correctoes things myself.

gnusmas

Flat feet here too, got some decent rigid insoles from Cotswolds and they trimmed and fitted them in the shoes for me.

Yak

Flat feet too. Tried some fancy insoles, but they made my knees hurt. Even the standard shaped specialized ones do too. So I stick to normal non-correcting shoes and cycle shoes and all is fine.

cheekysprocket

Jonba, I was mortified at being told I had flat feet as a kid. (Don’t ask why. I was eight.) I’ve done the whole (expensive) orthotics thing, but all they essentially do is prop up a weak structure, and possibly cause other pain/issues in doing so. Strengthen the structure (think gusseting behind your head tube), and, presto, you’re well on the way to sorting the problem. Nowadays, we walk so little, our arches don’t get the regular exercise they need to keep strong and support your ankles, knees and hips in alignment. Riding does not flex/work the arches as walking does, as so our foot muscles can get weak and collapse inwards. Arches also get tired as we tire on the bike, and knees then tend to collapse inwards towards the top tube. Google arch strengthening exercises. They cost nothing, and take but a few minutes of your day to do. I use two as regular, post-ride maintenance. The first is to scrunch up the bare foot on the floor, as though your were picking up a ball of crumpled paper, then relax it. Repeat 20 times daily while you’re sat watching telly. The second is, while standing, rise up on your toes, hold, then drop back onto your heels and lift your toes. Repeat 20 times daily. You will notice a difference after a fortnight. Imagining and then holding/positioning your ankles, knees and hips in vertical alignment will seem strange at first, but in time it’ll become easier, and then habit. Any ankle, knee or hip pain SHOULD resolve after 2-4 weeks.

I know I sound a bit nerdy on this, but have had various biking and climbing injuries over the years, and it’s amazing how simple biomechanics can cause/cure problems (a bit like our bicycles!). Low tech (free tech) is sometimes the best tech… Good luck!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Collapsed arches here, which has really messed up my running. However, I’ve a set of riding shoe inserts which have saved by knees when riding, I pop them into my Shimano shoes and the difference is like night and day.

number18
    Free Member

As per cheekysprocket’s comment, the key is to build up the strength in your foot. Fix the problem rather than using a work around such as orthotics.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

bookmarking as a flat footed orthotics wearer. like the sound of the exercises.

number18
    Free Member

I don’t have flat feet, but I still do the exercises.

I would definitely recommend reading The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton. You could just turn to the section where it talks about what exercises to do, but it’s a good ready anyway (targeted at runners), ideally if a runner you would have read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall first.

plyphon
    Free Member

As I gained weight/muscle but feet flattened out – guessing from extra weight.

I had to go up half a size/full size in most shoes because my toes/feet were spreading out further. The length of shoes can sometimes be an issue because of this.

I might try those feet exercises. See if I can raise my arch back again.

epicyclo

jonba – Member
    …has anyone here got flat feet and does it actually make a big difference to anything other than shoe fit?

Flat as pancakes. I was prescribed those toe exercises, and got good enough at it that I could pick up a pen and write.

I don’t think it made a whit of difference.

What may have made a difference was my obstinacy when I was a kid about not wearing tight shoes and spending a lot of time barefoot or in loose sandals. I still wear sandals a lot.

I have never had a problem during running or walking distance except for a couple of times I have got fractures in my foot from landings, and I don’t think that is from flat feet. However after a big day my feet can be painful when I get out of bed, but that disappears if I force my weight on them and do a few toe rises.

My opinion is that a loose fit around the toes is essential – that has disadvantages when it comes to secure grip on the ground, but you get used to that.

I am quite fond of a cheap trainer I used to get in Oz – the Dunlop KT26 – because it comes in a wide fit, and I can run 5-6 miles in those no problem. My wife has just brought back 2 pairs from Oz for me, so I can enjoy running again.

BTW I have ridden singlespeed most of my life. I wonder if forcing the pedals round on steep stuff counts as a good exercise for this. I use an old-fashioned ankling style so my foot does get plenty flexing.

In short I have never found my flat feet to be a hindrance for running, walking, or cycling (and I’m approaching fossil status).

carol123
    Free Member

Well, it is good that you are using insoles for your flat feet but do remember some tips before you select any insole for your flat feet pain. Look at these and these will help you choose the best insoles for your flat feet pain:

• Orthopedic Shoes Are Great
    • Beware of Sandals with ‘Arch Support’
    • Get Stability Running Shoes
    • Motion-Control Running Shoes Work
    • Casual Shoes May Need Some Support Reinforcement

You can learn in brief about these tips before you select the best insoles for your flat feet. You can also look here to know more about these tips at: http://www.bestfootcares.com/orthotic-insoles/tips-to-choose-insoles-for-flat-feet-pain

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Flat feet’ is closed to new replies.