Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flat / Clipless Pedal Choice
  • funkmasterp

Does anybody have a recommendation for a best of both style pedal? One that is clipless but can also be used with normal footwear? I’m down to one bike and would prefer to commute in normal shoes, but want clipless the rest of the time.

Thanks for any suggestions

CraigW
    Free Member

Shimano A530, works OK for me. SPD on one side, flat on the other. Soon get used to flicking it round to the correct side. The flat side can be a bit slippery in the wet, depends on your shoes.

littlerob

Saw these https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-jekyll in Alpkit Hathersage last weekend. They look pretty good, and I’m tempted to get a pair.

richardthird

Had some 530s found them crap at either. No grip on flat, and always wrong way up for clip.

Easier to just swap pedals over now and then. Until I went 100% clipped anyway.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

m424 pedals work fine for my 9km commute in normal shoes

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

A two sided pedal is fine (if less convenient) for commuting but you’d really not want to use them off road

prawny

How far is your commute? I rode my roadie across town yesterday in normal trainers with SPD-SLs with no issues. Only for 3 miles each way, but i think I’d be happy enough up to 5 miles. I used to ride Tioga Clipmans with normal trailers too BITD, other than maybe Mallet DHs you’d be better off not spending additional money.

RustySpanner

Wellgo R120b.

Been superb over the last year.

funkmasterp

Commute is only three miles each way and the bike is used for everything from off road, to nipping to the shops and family jaunts. Can’t be arsed switching pedals all the time. The welgo look pretty good.

legend
    Free Member

In that case just get a pedal with a cage. SPD-flat combo pedals are shit really

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Easy answer is learn to ride off road on flats!

jamesco

Don’t listen to the nay sayers, if you fancy flat/clipless try a pair.I have two bikes with PD-M324’s and never swap.Go to work some days in work boots and some days in SPD shoes,(with elastic bands around my trouser bottoms) plus ride both off road clipless,great if you hit a techy bit where you’re not sure about being clipped in. Plus I have an old road bike with , I think, A530’s which are great for a flat shoe quick trip. It’s no biggy worrying about which way up they are if you are a half confident rider, you just feel it and cope accordingly.
    “A two sided pedal is fine (if less convenient) for commuting but you’d really not want to use them off road” How so ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flat / Clipless Pedal Choice’ is closed to new replies.