Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flat Car Battery – any suggestions
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

My car battery keeps going flat when I leave it for a few days. Battery is new, so that shouldn’t be an issue and there are no lights/radio/electrics getting left on.

Any ideas? And will it be stupidly expensive to fix?

ta

Cougar

Auto electrician?

I had this a few years back. Went through a string of mechanics, eventually went direct to Lucas who diagnosed a faulty rectifier on the alternator in about 30 seconds.

zippykona

Try taking some fuses out and see how you go. My radio was the culprit when I had a car. So took the fuse out when parking.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine get flat every 3 days if I don’t drive it … well, I did not drive it for nearly 4 months at one point. 😯

Not a major problem just a hassle.

Cable jump start will sort it out.

All you need to do is drive it often …

Oh ya … your new battery probably was not charged properly when you bought it.

Worst case scenario you need to buy another battery.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Some of the older Fords suffered from the boot light being on,when the boot was closed,will run the battery down,Was a switch fault

Grimy
    Free Member

As above, pull a few fuses and see if it still drains. It’s very common for the alternator rectification diodes to fail, causing the battery to drain back into the alternator coils. Shouldn’t take a good electrician long to find, but you won’t find one of them at a Stealer dealer though. Find a good independent. Alternatively, get an ammeter and connect it between the battery and the terminal to see what it’s drawing when switched off. Shouldn’t be more than about 25mA.

br
    Free Member

also check the charge when running

bryan-g-

I had the same problem for over a year until I found out that it was because I wasn’t locking the car which meant every thing was staying live.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flat Car Battery – any suggestions’ is closed to new replies.