Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Flat bars for 29er – any recommendations?
  • bowglie

I’m looking for a more comfortable flat bar for my new 29er, but being new to 29ers, I’m not sure what’s out there for ’em (& last time I rode with a flat bar was in the 1990’s 😯 )

The current flat bar & stem are OK for height, but the bar doesn’t have much backsweep (5 degree I think) – not bad when off-road and stood on pedals, but pretty uncomfortable on the longer seated sections of rides.

I prefer aluminium bars and am not bothered about the brand (wouldn’t rule out carbon if there are any super bargains about). Any sensible suggestions appreciated. TIA.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Easton EC90 carbon wide flat bars nice angle nuff said 😉

Ringo
    Free Member

niner flat bar here, nice and wide i like them a lot,

robbo
    Free Member

Do 29ers need special bars now????

mboy
    Free Member

Some nice Sunline 762’s… :-p

Candodavid
    Free Member

Salsa pro moto come with 3 different sweep angles too

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You don’t “need” special bars but I found a wider 640mm 9 degree worked a lot better for me on the 29er.

tazzymtb

easton ec70 wide flat bar 685 wide nice sweep, very light. the easton metal wide falt bars are ok as well

salsa flat bars are lovely but a bit narrow but the 11 and 17 sweep are great

Niner flat tops are nice but the Truvative worldcup SS flat bar feels the same and are a lot cheaper.

best for cash that you can pull like a monkey boy on are the truvatives

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Truvativ-Stylo-World-Cup-SS-Flatbar_40174.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

paultm
    Free Member

I’ve got 3T Extendo Pros on my 29er and really like them. They are flat, wide (29″!!) and have a nice backsweep (12deg), you can choose between budget alu or bling carbon.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/3t/mtb-handlebars/

Ringo
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

just moved to on-one fleegle pros on mine, and they are doing it for me.

ratadog

Have the Fleegles on one bike and Ragley Carnegie on the other. Neiother is that expensive and I find either better than an old school flatty.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Entirely subjective ap the variety of answers suggests.

The only real variables are flex and bend surely?

bowglie

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like there a quite a few decent budget options out there to choose from, and quite a range of sweep/widths.

I forgot to mention in my OP that I prefer 690-720mm(ish) wide bars. Afetr doing a bit of research last night, it looks like the bars (risers) on my other/previous bikes that I’ve found comfy all have 9deg of backsweep. So, I think I’ll give something like the Truvativ/Niner/Easton a go.

I notice someone questioned the need for ‘special bars’ for 29ers – FWIW, I tried an old low rise 710mm wide bar that I have kicking about, but even with all the spacers out they felt a bit too high – also tried flipping the stem, but that pushed the reach out a bit too far. Unfortunately, I don’t have any suitable old zero rise stems in my parts bin, otherwise I’d try that with the old risers.

Once again, cheers for the suggestions guys.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Truvative worldcup SS flat bar feels the same and are a lot cheaper.

best for cash that you can pull like a monkey boy on are the truvatives

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Truvativ-Stylo-World-Cup-SS-Flatbar_40174.htm

That ad quotes the weight as 180g at 700mm wide. Can that be correct? My old 710mm Fleegles are 350g.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like Fleegles too.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Another vote for fleegles, I like mine just fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

fleegle pros are 240g @ 660mm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some EA50’s on the swift which I can’t complain about.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Flat bars for 29er – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.