Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flat barred cross bike
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

What are the consequences of going flat barred? My v brakes will work better for 1. Will i need a longer stem to stop it becoming too short?
    Anything else i need to know?
    Ta 😀

DaveBro
    Free Member

hi – reach was the key thing for me, make sure you are comfortable with your tt / stem combination before doing anything drastic. If you intend going off road its less scary than dropbars when going downwards!

boxelder

You may struggle to get sweet shifting on a roadie front mech.

Eggbox
    Free Member

You may be mocked by CX hardcore traditionalists 😀

Other consequences may be falling off less…but yeah probably just a longer stem.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I'm sure all the CX hardcore traditionalists soon stopped taking the p1ss out of Nick after last year's 3 Peaks…

GregMay
    Free Member

You probably wont be allowed race cross races for one.

Perfect for 3peaks though

miketually
    Free Member

I'm sure all the CX hardcore traditionalists soon stopped taking the p1ss out of Nick after last year's 3 Peaks…

ShaggyJohn did something similar. He basically made a cx bike as close to a MTB as possible with staying within the 3 Peaks rules.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    My cross and mountainbike both have about the same length from front of seat to centre of the stem already so hope this might work without a new stem. Think i will rob some parts from the mountain bike first before commiting to buying anything.
    Only problem will be mtb 9 sp gripshift to ultegra 10sp.Cant see that working to well! Might get a few usable gears without buying new stuff.
    Cheers

nosemineb
    Free Member

Any one use the abvove on the road? Wont be as stretched out so its not going to be as fast but i am thinking it will hardly be noticeable, am i right?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Have to ask whats the difference between a flat barred cross bike and a 29er with narrow tyres?

Seriously…just wondering, like…

kelvin

Everything will be different, apart from the bars and the rims.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Are you see youve mentioned the 29er…
    My other way of thinking is sell the cross bike and the hardtail mtb and have 1 do it all, trail bike, xc race and commute bike.
    The cross bikes have been great, but i cant see myself racing cross this year except the 3 peaks. So its a bit of a waste and the mtb doesnt get much use these days.
    I think i need a word with myself as ive got a touch of the grass is greener syndrome.
    😕

Eggbox
    Free Member

"You probably wont be allowed race cross races for one"

I assume that's UCI rules..I think I've seen plenty of flat barred bikes at local league races.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flat barred cross bike’ is closed to new replies.