Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flat bar road frames – inspire me
  • nixie

Looking for a new flat bar road frame to replace my pompetamine as I need more room and gears for child carrying. I’m struggling to come up with any decent suggestions. Other than a roadrat what options cam you think of.

Requirements:

Disc only
    Take mud guards with fat tyre
    Gear hanger (though sliding dropouts preferred)
    Likely to be available second hand

kilo

Isn’t a flat barred road bike with gears, discs and fat tyres just a mountain bike on slicks?

nixie

No, you wouldn’t get a MTB tyre in a proper flat bar road frame. By fat I mean 42c or 45c.

rOcKeTdOg

I think you mean hybrid, loads of those about

nixie

😛 yeah I guess so.

epicyclo

A mate uses a Surly Long Haul Trucker for that.

His son has got bigger so he’s now on to a Big Dummy.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Revolution courier here (silver is disc only)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revolution-Courier-Race-/311865499920

or get the next size up in a road/cx frame so you get a longer top tube for flat bars?

rOcKeTdOg

The cube road sl is nice, hydraulic discs and road gearing (sora), some hybrids have mtb gearing

damascus
    Free Member

Just buy a road bike, sell the drop bars, shifters and replace with straight bars, brake levers and shifters.

I’ve just changed my pro 6 to straight bars as it’s doubling up as a touring bike for a week.

You can sometimes get a straight bar option as a cheaper option from some companies.

I know px and I think alpkit do this.

nixie

Should clarify that I only need a frame. All the other bits are carry over or already in the spares box.

Hadn’t considered sizing up a road frame.

Long hall trucker is 26″ isn’t it? Big dummy would be great but rather expensive if you get all the accessories.

nixie

Putting flat bars on a road bike makes it a touch on the short side (unless I size up).

damascus
    Free Member
    scaredypants

Putting flat bars on a road bike makes it a touch on the short side (unless I size up).

26″ mtb fame is what you need, I’d say (depending what “fat tyre” really means – maybe a 27.5er

nixie

Fat tyre is the 700c X 42 (or maybe 45) tyres I’ve already got 🙂

scaredypants

27.5er, then

shermer75
    Free Member

Long hall trucker is 26″ isn’t it?

Available in 26″ and 700c flavas

shermer75
    Free Member

I have done this in the past and got round it with a longer stem, however I am quite partial to a short top tube!

nixie

Me too normally. Current frame is like that. However toe overlap is an issue with mud guards and with a weeride it’s just too short.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be thinking of a Surly Straggler or a Fairlight Faran

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler

Faran

Northwind

I really like my Boardman hybrid but it can only take a 35c with mudguards so might not be your thing

Dickyboy

Kona Rove?
    Salsa Marrakech – heavy tourer but there was a frame in the classifieds a little while back

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar road frames – inspire me’ is closed to new replies.