Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flash Player on Chromium OS
  • thesurfbus
    Free Member

Have installed Chromium OS on an old netbook, it works great apart from the fact that I can’t install Flash Player.
    If I go to Adobe and try and download Flash, it says I have the latest version because it thinks I have Chrome installed, is there a way to force it to Download Flash?
    I have trawled the web, and its a common problem with various answers, some of which I have tried, with no success.

CountZero

Have you got Chrome browser? That runs Flash natively, it doesn’t need the actual Flash app. I won’t have Flash installed on my Mini, but if I need to run anything with Flash I use Chrome. Not a bad browser, really, I use it a lot out of laziness. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Chromium hasnt got licencing rights to bundle flash (or some MP? and video codecs either). There are some ways of getting flash on there but it’s not ideal – there’s some sudo stuff you have to do I think. You cant get it directly from adobe.

Are you using a hexxeh build? http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/
    Hexxeh admitted to not intending to solve the licencing issue IIRC.

Can I suggest instead installing Lubuntu which has chrome browser and flash/codec support. This is what I have done on a couple of my netbooks before I went to a chromebook.

CountZero

Stoner, wouldn’t Chrome browser do the trick? Serious question, I gno nuffink about Chromium, and how it works with different browsers.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Yes its a hexxeh build, will try installing Lubuntu.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have Chrome browser, but it doesn’t have the Flash Plug-Ins

Stoner
    Free Member

CZ – chromium is a skinny linux kernal with a chrome browser front end. The Hexxeh chromium build isnt an authorised chrome thing and you cant “add” another version of chrome as it’s an OS kind of thing not just a browser*

* you can tell how far my technical knowledge goes here 🙂

The chrome browser you have in chromium isnt a proper versino of chrome with all the licenced extensions embedded in it.

Lubuntu as part of a linux family has got licences for bundling codecs and adobe software in their release of chrome for lubuntu. Other browsers are available to be run on Lubuntu buut that’d just be a bit wierd 🙂

Def go Lubuntu, until you get the bug and go for a chromebook anyway. Download to a stick, then boot from the stick. Once running from the stick there’s the option to install as a primary OS (it will even manage dual boot installation if you fancy).

I did a thread about it a while ago, shall go and get it for you surfbus

Stoner
    Free Member
    CountZero

This is all too complicated for my tiny mind to grasp! My trouble-shooting goes as far as switch off, switch back on again. 😳

andytherocketeer

don’t think it’s even that

Chromium is the open source developed browser. Chrome is the Google branded and tweaked browser based on Chromium. Chrome used to have Flash player built in, but I thought it was removed? Chromium didn’t, and you just add it like any other browser (I did, but can’t remember how or what I did, but it was something like dropping the plugin in the right folder).

Chromium OS and ChromeOS are similarly related. The hexxeh stuff is a pre-prepared Chromium OS install (which I assume contains Chromium browser rather than Chrome), because if you try to install Chromium OS via official methods, since it’s development s/w you’ll have the full hassle of compiling and building the whole thing.

Chrome/ChromeOS get auto updates, Chromium/ChromiumOS don’t. And indeed a ChromiumOS update can break everything.

or something like that.

Stoner
    Free Member

or something like that.

close enough for me. I was just spouting gibberish by the end.

andytherocketeer

I grabbed a Hexxeh build to play with a while back, but it’ll have to wait until after summer (MTB) holidays.

Currently running Arch Linux (not recommended for non-experts) with Chromium.

Plan was to get Chromium OS on the netbook (eeePC 901), and then hack in the bits I need (Java, Flash, etc., as well as some custom apps I need). Then I’ll know if I can get away with a new Chromebook for 200 quid, or have to spend 800 quid and pay the M$ tax.

Stoner
    Free Member

I used my time on lubuntu as a on M$ experiment, which passed, and so bought a chromebook. Top feature IMO is the remote desktop app. Works flawlessly and adds the functionality of my big desktop at home to the chromebook when Im out and about.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Thanks for the Link Stoner, I actually think I read it before, and has been stored in my unconcious until now.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Have installed Chromium OS on an old netbook, it works great apart from the fact that I can’t install Flash Player.
    If I go to Adobe and try and download Flash, it says I have the latest version because it thinks I have Chrome installed, is there a way to force it to Download Flash?
    I have trawled the web, and its a common problem with various answers, some of which I have tried, with no success.

I installed Lubuntu, and had a similar problem, this how I got round it:

Open browser window.

Type in ” about:plugins” (don’t type quotation marks).

In the page that opens, click on “Details” in top right corner of page.

For all the plugins listed, click “Disable”.

Now load Flash, hopefully it works – it did for me!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Lubuntu was still downloading last night, so not had a chance to install yet.
    Taylorplayer – will give it a try.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Taylorplayer – didn’t work.
    Still not got Lubuntu installed, the hash value was incorrect, downloading again

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Well that’s the limit of my knowledge I’m afraid!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flash Player on Chromium OS’ is closed to new replies.