Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • flared head tube
  • hooja
    Free Member

OK bit out of touch here, whats the score? If i was to buy a new frame with a flared head tube, does that mean replacing my fork steerer and headset or completely new forks? either way im guessing its going to be expensive (bit of an a$$e if you just want to change frames it seems)

jonathan
    Free Member

I think you mean a tapered headtube? If it was flared I'd be taking it back for a refund 😉

You need a tapered headset with a reducer for the bottom cup. So 1.25" at the top and 1.5"-1.25" reducer at the bottom.

jonathan
    Free Member

Of course, you could just by a 1.5"-1.25" reducer headset and use the bottom half of that with the top half of your old 1.25" headset

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    poppa
    Free Member

Aye, with a tapered headtube you can run either tapered steerers or 1 1/8th steerers (with the appropriate headset)

With a 1.5" head tube you can also add 1.5" steerers to that list.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You can use your existing 1 1/8" forks with a headset reducer for the bottom cup.

If you then get new forks in the future with a tapered steerer, you just take the reducer cup out.

JoeNation
    Free Member

If you have a flared headtube, you need to replace the frame, not the fork. If I understand you right, and it's a brand new frame, then take it back for a replacement.

takisawa2

Flares are out dude.
    Get with it.

hooja
    Free Member

I meant tapered, like i said this is a new development for me! Not bought the frame yet, its just i have read that the 2011 model will have a tapered head tube. Im assuming i can either buy a chris king headset that will work or a new bottom for my existing ck headset? (or try and find a 2010 frame?

jonathan
    Free Member

If the frame is OK for standard external cup then a CK will be fine. You can get them in 1.5" or in 1.25"/1.5" tapered setup. And I think they both come with 1.5"-1.25" reducers.

DOn't know if you can just buy the 1.5" bottom cup on it's own though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Erm 1.25" is evolution size (1 1/4" old std not really taken up). I presume you mean overside (1 1/8" current std for mtb's).

jonathan
    Free Member

Yes – sorry 1.125", not 1.25"

And damn… if only there was a proper edit function on here 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘flared head tube’ is closed to new replies.