Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fizik Gobi XM… which rail?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok after learning that I’m not a bull or a snake, I’m still a little unsure which rail type I can use. (Find their website a bit brief for this)

So there’s:

Manganese
    K:ium
    Braided Carbon

Thats from cheapest to most expensive. How strong is the braided carbon?? Can it withstand All mountain use? Black trail centre runs? (15 stone rider)

Thanks for any info.
    Tom

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of the carbon braided version but have had manganese and kium Fizik saddles of various types including the Gobi.Weight is the only difference, carbon being about 200g manganese about 260g,kium is not much less than manganese. With the exception of weight the construction is much the same as is ccomfort. Given how much cheaper manganese is, unless the weight matters get that one.
    I’m 14st and not broken one though the rails can creak sometimes.
    HTH.

somafunk

I use the K’ium version – very comfortable and supports my 68kg weight ok. Dunno if that helps you very much though.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

The carbon holds a specific colour that I like, which is why I have the dilemma 🙁

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I personally would get the Kium,both strong and light.Manganese seems to be original equipment on bikes and for some reason quality does not seem to be as good.Avoid the carbon railed if you crash a lot! Strong enough for a heavy rider but does not take side impacts well! Broke my braided rails in 4 places in a fall!
    Thanx,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Oh,I forgot if you go on the website (and possibly through some dealers) custom colours are options.More expensive but worth a look.Had the same dilemma and plumped for the plain black and white!
    Thanx,
    Max

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hi Max

Ok thats good to know. Think I might just stick with K:I
    ium then, I don’t crash a lot but you know what will happen if I went with the carbon.

I have just read that they offer 2 Year warranty on all saddles, so I guess the carbon could always be warrantied if broken?

BadlyWiredDog

I snapped a braided carbon railed Gobi on my hardtail – it may have been down to the clamp design of the specific post I was using, but it wasn’t a particularly confidence -inspiring experience. Fizik replaced it with a K’ium-railed version under waranty – good service as I bought it on eBay and just sent them a picture via their site – which has been fine. The carbon snappage wasn’t even in a crash, just riding along, genuinely and I’m not particularly heavy either. I’d go for the K’ium.

The clamp that broke it, second ride out, was on a Lynskey titanium post btw… this. Other types may be better:

monogramman
    Free Member

Maybe someone can confirm this, but aren’t carbon rails a slightly thicker diameter?

Make sure your seat post will accept the bigger size.

somafunk

Carbon rails are usually 8mm, I had a carbon railed selle Italia 12 odd years ago, it was very comfortable but was bright red unfortunately.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,I did a warranty on my carbon rail and got a Kium.2 years is good though! They were pretty good about it as I crashed while racing.Snapped in one place when I crashed and then finished race and it was snapped in 4 places! It was floating on fibres! Well at least it didn’t stop Me riding! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fizik Gobi XM… which rail?’ is closed to new replies.