Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OT: Fixing Carbon Road Rims
  • bluebird
    Free Member

A mates got some carbon road rims. He's noticed a small L shaped crack in one. Has anyone got any experience or know how he can fix them?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Just ride them as they are, works for Hincapie!

On a more serious note, no, suggest that's ripe for the bin.

clubber
    Free Member

Three options:

1 – bin them
    2 – find someone who can repair them professionally
    3 – gamble and do a DIY repair with resin and some carbon fibre matting. Perfectly feasible but will probably be messy, look crap and will put the wheel out of balance…

I'd be looking at option 2 and depending on the cost then going option 1…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member
    younggeoff

Try these http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.php may be able to help

or Try Mike Nelthorpe at HQ Fibre Products nr Norwich 01603713972, I'm pretty certain he can help.

Joxster
    Free Member

Another vote for HQ Fibre, Mike replaced a spoke in my Tri spokes and I've raced on them for a year and have no concerns. I've had Campag Boras fixed when hitting a pot hole at speed.

bluebird
    Free Member

Thanks all, will pass on advice.

Out of interest though. I thought the carbon aero profile section wasn't structural, just for aerodynamics. Is it actually structural. They feel ever so flimsy to actually offer any strength.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the aero profile is purely dynamic on all but the older rims i think, putting that much material in for structure is unnecessary and adds weight

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on the rim. Some, like a Bontrager Aeolus is a perfectly functional XXX Lite rim with a carbon 'skin' bonded on, so I wouldn't have too many qualms about the structural integrity of the carbon. On others it is part of the structure, then you have problems, so really it depends what rim it is.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

njee may be right though, best to check

cynic-al
    Free Member

can't it be determined by whether the nipples rest on the alloy rim or the carbon inner bit?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

aero profile is structural on most all-carbon rims. If the spoke nipple joins at the part of the rim closest to hub, the side walls have to transfer forces from tub/braking surface to spoke nipple.
    Some heds and mavics are non or semi-structural fairings.

EDIT d'oh, must type faster and more succintly

njee20
    Free Member

If it's an alu rim with carbon bonded to it then the carbon is definitely a fairing. It's only pukka carbon rims where the the whole thing is structural, I must admit I jumped to this conclusion in my OP!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh. You ade an ass of u and me.

I never do that.

bluebird
    Free Member

I've just been told the the rims in question are Grammo 88's.

njee20
    Free Member

Well I had to Google them! Not too sure, full carbon tubs, so it could be structural. Talk to the company.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OT: Fixing Carbon Road Rims’ is closed to new replies.