Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fixing an old Command Post
  • bounce

Command Post started dropping when it shouldn’t so took it apart to find it had snapped off part of the collet, common fault apparently. Inspired by an old thread on here, have ordered a new part and would appreciate any advice on how to, first, clamp the shiny seat tube in a vice without damaging it and then how to remove the collet.

Great info on replacing the collet for the Blacklite on this vid, my older model looks very similar though the collets are different parts:

Blacklite stripdown

I have a heat gun to use to break the thread lock but concerned that the tiny flats on the collet might round very easily. Been looking for a small pin spanner – they use two of them in the vid – but no-one seems to stock one that small. Might have to start carving a post holder for the vice 🙂

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I lost a load of the fins off the collet on my old command, brought new collet and was told by local dealer it was a really fiddly job that would take a complete strip down and they would need the post for a couple of weeks to do it!! Instead I got them to order the part, then did it myself, it was easy,

Unscrew the retaining cap to separate the base from the post (remove air first) pull apart, I had to spend a bit of time getting the mashed bits of collet out of the base as they had wedged into the groove so took a bit of faffing and a mallet.

For some reason I ended up undoing the screw that holds the cable into the bottom part under the collet, but I should never have done that, just made things more fiddly, realised after all you do is unscrew collet (mine undid with ease using a big adjustable I think. That will then slide over the gubbins, ready to acre the new one on. Easy!

If you need any more detail il try and write it a bit clearer but am on my phone in work at the mo but hopefully that gives you an idea. I had brought a reverb when mine initially broke so once fixed I fitted to my hardtail and that was about 2.5 years ago, still going strong.

bounce

Thanks, much appreciated, only other question is best way to hold it in the vice? Need to wrap it in something thick, soft and grippy to protect it, lots of plastic carton lids maybe.

Was looking at reverbs myself last night, tempting 😀

bounce

Cheers Stu!

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’ve used this tutorial in the past.. found it the best..

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Specialized-Blacklite-Post-Maintenance-2012.html

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Don’t think I did mine in a vice so can’t help there I’m afraid

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fixing an old Command Post’ is closed to new replies.