Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fixing a ripped tyre
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

This evening I noticed that my tyre side wall is ripped and the inner tube is bulging out a bit. The tyre is a High Roller and the rip is about 1cm in length. I heard that toothpaste tube is good stuff for temporary repairs but is it a long term option? I don’t want to get stranded but at the same time I don’t want to buy a new tyre yet as this has/had? plenty of life left. Anyones tyres lasting long from such a repair?

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

stitch the slit with dental floss.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. You’re not pulling my leg are you? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

nope. Done it a few times on crappy michelins
    You might need to get a heavy duty needle from a haberdashers.

scottidog
    Free Member

You can cut a larger piece of sidewall from an old tyre and superglue it to the inside of your worn one as a patch. Worked for me before

globalti
    Free Member

They do it all the time in Africa:

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve had reasonable success on a couple of occasions with those Park tyre boots

jonba
    Free Member

I just used a large puncture patch (about 15mm bigger than hole on all sides) and repair glue. Put some tape on the outside to hold it together while it dried properly. Been fine since. Bit of dental floss (or fishing wire) would stengthen it but mines been fine for several months.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I used dental floss and a big repair patch on each side. Fine for over a year

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve used nylon thread to close it up with super glue in the cut and a normal tiptop patch on the inside. (sand the inside of the type before you sew it up though. Even continued to run that one tubeless.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t try and stick a patch on it if it’s a road tyre. It will hold for a bit, but only enough to get the pressure up to about 85Psi, before it catastrophically fails, along with the tube and your sphincter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a ripped tyre’ is closed to new replies.