Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fixing a rack to a bike with no rack bosses…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Is this what I’m after?

Thinking of buying a rather lovely Joe Waugh steel framed road bike which would hopefully double up as a tourer for the occasional holiday.

Are fixings like those above ^^^ going to be any stronger than one of those seatpost racks? Are they likely to damage the frame? Ta!

Aidy
    Free Member

The very best rack mounting I’ve managed on a frame without mounts is by using these as lower mounts, and one of these as an upper mount.

Might not be a good solution for all frames, though.

In particular, if you’re on a fancy steel bike, which has seat stays that taper towards the drop out, anything which clamps to the stays can be a bit of a faff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME p-clips as above may collapse if you try to carry a lot of weight. Other solutions may exist, Blackburn used to do a solid mount that fitted in the triangular hole in cast horiz dropouts for instance.

Race frame for touring though…narrow tyres, spindly/flexy tubes, not a good idea IMO/E.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers fo the links Aidy, much appreciated – this is the bike;

So yes, the seat stays do taper slightly but I can give it a shot and if it doesn’t work, I’d just go for a seatpost mounted rack.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the fix I suggested should work, better than aidy’s (no offence).

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/blackburn%20custom%20eyelet%20kit/racks/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/15897

quill stem…are you used to ahead stems?…it will feel very flexy.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cynic-al, just had a quick Google for that mount which sounds like a good idea, but no joy. Did it have a particular name do you know?

I tour light, so hopefully won’t snap the bike – I’m only 11.5 stone too, which probably helps 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

The problem with the tapering thing is that if they slip a little bit, they’re going to go all the way (sorry if that’s obvious).

user-removed
    Free Member

Sorry – cross posting going on there – thanks for the blackburn link – looks spot on, linked with Aidy’s seatpost clamp thing. Might need to buy a bloody tall rack though for it to fit! Or just use P-clips up top I guess.

EDIT; I test rode the bike a couple of days ago and it feels amazing – haven’t had a road bike for about six years! Can’t possibly justify the purchase to Mrs Removed, so it’ll be a buy-first-answer-questions-later kind of a buy 😀

Aidy
    Free Member

the fix I suggested should work, better than aidy’s (no offence).

Nah, they do look good – and it’s an options I wasn’t aware of, and which could be useful in future. Thanks!

Aidy
    Free Member

Might need to buy a bloody tall rack though for it to fit! Or just use P-clips up top I guess.

Alternatively, a brake bridge mount rack? Won’t be suitable for heavy touring, but I’m guessing that’s not your game plan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

P clips are fine up top.

Should ride lovely, but it’s ancient…get a good price.

user-removed
    Free Member

Good shout – that might be the way forward. Bit of experimentation coming up I reckon. Getting a bit ahead of myself though – got to buy the bike first!

user-removed
    Free Member

What d’ya reckon it’s worth cynic-al (or anyone else)? I’m pretty sure the asking price is about right, but would be interested to hear opinions…

TiRed

Tubus Fly and two P clips. Need more luggage, fit a bar bag.

And it will ride beautifully. Quill stems won the Tour de France 😆

EDIT : AND a Rolls saddle. Class.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter that the seastays taper – just mount the p clips at the bottom so they can’t slip down.

Many thousands of laden miles on abikes set up like theis

Teh tubus stuff is good tho – and yo can get axle mounting kits which would be better

RustyMac

Are the seatpost mount ones rubbish?

My girlfriend is using her mountain bike to commute on and not enjoying having the likes of her laptop in a rucsack as it makes it quite heavy. The possibility of easily removing the rack is appealing. So it should be a less laborious task when i need to get her bike set up for offroad duties.

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks very much – loads of useful info. TJ – I thought the axle-mounted ones existed, but wasn’t sure – will go have a look.

Rusty Mac – pretty sure a seatpost mounted rack could easily cope with the weight of a Laptop – I’ve seen bivvy-bikers carrying much more weight than that on these racks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a rack to a bike with no rack bosses…’ is closed to new replies.