Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fixing a pinched steel dropout (driveside)
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

My mk1 PA frame arrived with it’s drive side slot a little squidged. What’s the best way to sort this out?

So far I can see:

1. Walloping.
    2. Filing (I sense this is not the answer).
    3. Heating and walloping.

As it’s the first generation the dropout/hanger is a smaller piece than the newer PA.

cynic-al
    Free Member

None.

Gentle but firm bending. The end of an adjustable spanner works.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would be tempted to ask a friendly local frame builder.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get pro advice. cold setting can be done but for something like that where yo want a very localised bend and don’t want to add stress I would be thinking of serious heat. But I would take pro advice. Not hitting it weither – bending it with a lever

shandcycles
    Free Member

i would be tempted to ask a friendly local frame builder.

who will:

1) Wallop it
    2) File it
    or
    3) Heat it and wallop it.

Seriously though, don’t heat it. Very gentle bending when it’s cold. If you need to heat it to bend it back then you’ll already have compromised it.

Bear in mind it *may* crack while bending it but if you get it too hot when trying to heat it, it’s going to be weaker and probably crack in the long term.

Al’s right, if you don’t have access to the right tools, an adjustable spanner works well.

S

cynic-al
    Free Member

KAPOW!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ok. Gently gently with the spanner it will be. Shame it’s not a love/hate!

Worse comes to worse do I use an emergency hanger in place of the one I may snap off?

Thanks for the feedback.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How bent is it? pic? Steel is pretty hard to break.

HermanShake
    Free Member

It’s only tweaked a little, I’ll stick a pic up tomorrow if I haven’t fixed it. It’s just too tight and slightly teardrop shaped. I tried prying the stays a little to pop it straight into it’s nook, but the nook has been encroached upon.

*tries to figure out way to hide filing from earlier* 😳

Tim
    Free Member

Just tweak it back, gently. Its steel 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

Fixed it!

Lots of persuasive bending……….and some filing and it’s taking the wheel like a lover into open arms. But not too open.

Thanks team 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a pinched steel dropout (driveside)’ is closed to new replies.