Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fixing a 10sp chain with a tool
  • Garry_Lager

Should you be able to fix a broken 10 sp chain the old fashioned way – chain tool, pin out, link removed, pin back in?

Cos I just did this (on a kmc chain), not having a powerlink to hand, and it lasted 2 miles before snapping and smashing me bawsack into the top tube.

Thought I was pretty careful in putting it together, but was wondering if maybe the narrow-ness makes this an unreliable fix.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Should be fine,as long as the pin is equal both sides and link plates not distorted. I would fit a Powerlink myself at the join for peace of mind.

parkesie
    Free Member

A new pin is often required i just carry a spare split link incase.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The end of the pin will be flared so by pushing it through the plate you will open the hole up slightly. Then pushing it back will further damage the plate. This will leave very little holding that end of the pin in place and wham, nuts on toptube / stem / bars.

cookeaa

I’ve done it in a pinch before, but I really wouldn’t trust it long term…

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve done it when I’ve shortened a chain too much. Chain seeming too slack on a ride so took out a link, but then it was too short, so put it back in. Been fine.

I wouldn’t do it to fix around where a link has snapped though. I just carry the split links. Though to be honest I’ve had one incident in maybe 4 years of a snapped link using KMC chains, and that looked like it had taken a knock to weaken it. Usually my links are donated to people without KMC chains. I used to use them a lot with SRAM chains.

edhornby

I personally don’t trust the shimano pins that you snap the end off – seems like a dodgy design to me… KMC split links for me also

having had a selcoff chain snap on me after a short life I would probably avoid them in future

JoeG
    Free Member

I tried to reuse a pin on a 10 speed chain once (either SRAM or KMC, don’t remember) and it lasted for a while but eventually failed. So that chain now has 2 quicklinks on it.

creamegg
    Free Member

Been doing this on sram chains for years without any issues other than the link can be a bit stiff at first but that soon loosens with use

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a 10sp chain with a tool’ is closed to new replies.