Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Fixie riders?
  • attractivefish
    Free Member

Hi Guys & Gals,

Are there any fellow fixie riders out there that venture off road, I surely can’t be the only one, if so then show us your steed 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

pompino-icr by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

onelad by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Yep made the switch 2-3 months ago and after 1 month a friend has also done it. Soon there will be others in our riding group!

Has anyone found a good rear tyre? I find i tear my back tyre up to quick to use a nobby nic.

qwerty
    Free Member

niche whores 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

old nichewhore site:
    http://www.63xc.com/

messiah
    Free Member

Tick

huws
    Free Member

What’s the accepted thinking on gearing with offroad fixed? Will I die in a whirl of exploding legs running 32×15?

Stoner
    Free Member

63XC is so named because of the gear inches (63″) that is best suited to offroad fixie.

You can work out the ratio from your wheel size then and http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

huws
    Free Member

I can’t really change the front ring to anything bigger than 32 though (stoopid middleburn) so I’m stuck at about 57″. Too spinny?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Im on 32:15 because the 15 tooth cog cos me 2.99! Proper velo solo one aswell! 😀

Its not too spinny, i live on the south coast so the word mountain doesnt enter our vocabularly but we do have a few small hills and the gearing is great even in mud. I managed about 28mph on it which was 165rpm. Dont be afraid to spin the pedals, too many riders are scared of their legs moving quickly! (yes i realise 165 isnt all that fast)

anyway heres my fixie –

messiah
    Free Member

33:18 here, because it’s hilly and it means I can flip/flop fix/free.

Bodgetastic

yesiamtom
    Free Member

nothing like a good bodge messiah, especially if its late at night out in the woods with a bunch of strange men wearing tights and lyrca.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So how do you ratchet or avoid pedalling so you don’t smash your crank or pedal into a rock?

Stoner
    Free Member

So how do you ratchet or avoid pedalling so you don’t smash your crank or pedal into a rock

that’s the fun for spectator 🙂

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

So, what sort of stuff are you riding on your fixies? I don’t think I can think of any trail anywhere where I’d want to try it. Is it not just completely lethal?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

There is loads of Fixie-able riding near you fortunateson, a little bit of local knowledge goes a long way. The word “trail” is completely wrong.

epicyclo

I chicken out on anything steep – simply can’t spin fast enough anymore.

thepodge
    Free Member

I didn’t realise there was so many off you. me and my mate plan to ride the SSWC fixed to promote our bike polo team. loving it on the road but need to get some practice on off road

rOcKeTdOg

I can understand the advantages of single speed over hub gears or derailleurs in certain situations, but I can’t think of any situation where a fixed gear would be better than a freewheel. What is the point ?

Could someone explain it to me ?

firestarter
    Free Member

Only pic I have now has new wheels flat bars and vbrakes

ski
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

I can understand the advantages of single speed over hub gears or derailleurs in certain situations, but I can’t think of any situation where a fixed gear would be better than a freewheel. What is the point ?

Could someone explain it to me ?

I felt the same Graham, until I tried it (pompino) & it became very addictive.

All I will say, is give it a go 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I can’t think of any situation where a fixed gear would be better than a freewheel

reliability and low service cost. Fixed sprockets arent going to seize or fail like a freewheel can.

On a more “cyclecraft” level, I understand riding a fixie improves “la souplesse” which transfers to better riding biomechanics when back on a freewheel.

I dont think anyone particularly advocates fixie off-road because it somehow is more suited to a particular kind of trail. Just a different way of doing things. The idea terrifies the crap out of me – I scare myself enough just pootling to the pub on a fixie – but I can see why the challenge may appeal to others.

epicyclo

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    …I can’t think of any situation where a fixed gear would be better than a freewheel. What is the point ?

You’re right IMO.

But the point? it’s fun.

Take your fixie out on a trail you’re getting bored with and suddenly it gets very interesting 🙂

yesiamtom
    Free Member

if you went from gears to SS and thought “gee whiz this is great fun!” thats what fixed does again. The only benefit of fixed is the low cost and perhaps the look on peoples faces when they what your riding. Thats a classic.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve ridden fixed off road and it is not really about better, it’s just quite good fun. I have an old bike set up fixed off road and it makes really dull trails fun, it’s just different. Variety is the spice of life and all that the cost was the cost of a bolt on cog and the rest was from spares.

DrP

I understand riding a fixie improves “la souplesse” which transfers to better riding biomechanics when back on a freewheel.

Although sports scientists say that’s not the case….

I ride fixie on road. I’m planning on doing some long distances on it.
    I still ask myself the question “why?” quite frequently.
    I can explain the rationale of SS to people. I simply can’t get the correct words out to explain fixed gear…… Prob a bit like smoking really – on paper it’s stupid, though pretty popular and addictive!

DrP

messiah
    Free Member

Why?

Old trails but new challanges.

Get the buzz back when all you’ve got is 1-1/2 hours and access to trails you know very well.

epicyclo

It also is good when it’s slippery 🙂

I flipped the hub a few times on that ride to try it and you definitely feel safer on fixed when it’s slippery.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fixie is bad enough on the road, I wouldn’t even consider it off road 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t have a photo (wiped my memory card!!) but i use my scandal with another wheel.

I can’t think of any situation where a fixed gear would be better than a freewheel

it’s not about ‘better’ but it’s different.

i found that it made me take interesting lines to avoid tree stumps etc. it also scary going down steep stuff still pedalling!

mocha
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

damn those slippery cobbles…

face-plant
    Free Member

i’ve got the idea but the balls arn’t there for me fixed on the road is opne thing but off 😯

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My mate rode the West Highland Way and beyond on his fixed mtb.

http://www.63xc.com/kenei/kensing.htm

Woody
    Free Member

flashes
    Free Member

And it’s for sale to fund new fixed off roader

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve dabbled with fixed on- and off-road.

attractivefish
    Free Member

So, what sort of stuff are you riding on your fixies? I don’t think I can think of any trail anywhere where I’d want to try it. Is it not just completely lethal?

I live in the peak, and ride all of my usual trails fixie as well as singlespeed, also rode the last two Sleepless’ solo fixie and finished mid-field in both, looking forward to this year

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Off road fixie isn’t niche enough. You need home made spiked snow tyres and a cx front wheel to be in my niche

Why?

Because it was easy to put some locktite on a cog Everyone reckoned I would die but I haven’t so far.

What Trails?

Lordswood, Swinley Forest, everything else I have tried. I would recommend avoiding steep descents and jumps but the rest it worth trying.

Not something for your only bike but it is fun for a change and I can keep up woth the STW group rides through the Labyrinth at Swinley.

and when it was new:

DrP

Show the “and when it was broked” pics too…..

DrP

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fixie riders?’ is closed to new replies.