Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fixed question…
  • oxym0r0n

So will this screw on to my old Hope screw-on SS hub and turn it into a fixie?

Thanks

Haze

Suicide hub?

I’m thinking you won’t get the lock ring on.

oxym0r0n

Suicide hub?

?

Does the lockring have an opposite thread then?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

Yeah I’m pretty sure the hub should have a smaller reverse thread to accept the lock ring.

You could still get the cog on, but anti-pedal braking may pop it off. So only a suicide hub if you have no back-up brake.

oxym0r0n

Thanks Haze – I’ve just found this which clarifies what you said – curses! I was hoping to loose the back brake and go fixed… I might loose the back brake anyway 🙂

Haze

If it’s a disc specific hub and you’ve no use for a back brake, you can use one of these

oxym0r0n

Yeah- sadly pre-disc 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

can use an old BB lockring to do it. i had a fixed roadbike that i rode for over a year with no problems.

CraigW
    Free Member

Its debatable as to whether you actually need a lockring on fixed.See the Fixie FAQs: http://fixiefaqs.netcipia.net/xwiki/bin/view/Main/#Q2.3

If you screw the sprocket on tight, then right hard up a few hills, it should get it pretty secure. Unless you are skid-stopping regularly, there shouldn’t be much danger of it unscrewing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fixed question…’ is closed to new replies.