Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Five Tens – tougher than Shimano AM40s?
  • BoardinBob

I bought my AM40s about a year ago and they’ve now totally fallen to pieces. The rubber at the very front has detached completely from the upper and the sides are all cracked and full of holes.

Prior to that I had a pair of Gravis skate shoes that lasted 6 years and were completely bombproof.

The grip off the AM40s is considerably better though but I’m extremely reluctant to shell out for the latest model if they’re going to last 1 year.

So are the Five Tens tougher and longer lasting? Any ones to avoid?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Heard far more horror stories of five tens rotting and falling to pieces than AMs, the sole is usually the weak point on shimano. Older models of five ten used cardboard in the construction which got water logged and rotted, I’d be looking to see if tbe newer ones do before dropping the sort of money they’re asking. I use old Vans or etnies as poor weather flat shoes and save my AMs for the good stuff.

Northwind

My 5 10s fell apart in way less time than my AMs… They were older ones with the cardboard sole which didn’t help but there was loads more than that going wrong with them- sole delaminated, stitching burst, inners all ripped up. I’ve had pretty decent use from the AMs, they’re on their last legs now though but I’d say an acceptable life, unlike the 5 10s.

VanHalen

my am40s were dissapointing. the sole got destroyed very quick.

gone back to cheap skate shoes and waterproof socks.

kimbers

saw these recently thought they looked quite good

not sure if a fleece lining will be that great on very wet ride though

http://www.hardcloud.com/product/vn-0l3mlir-blk.asp

BoardinBob

Ah well. Looks like I’ll be replacing Shimanos every year then.

devs
    Free Member

My first 5:10s lasted 4 years including the last 2 really bad Scottish winters. They only gave in because of the hole in the sole worn through by the pedal pins. My second set have lasted nearly a year without fault. They get bad press from some on here but for me they have been the best bit of biking kit I ever bought. They don’t rot if you look after them and dry them out. Puppie pads/ nappies and a radiator. Sorted.

wrecker
    Free Member

Me too Bob. My AM40s fell apart after a year too. But they’re basically trainers and got some proper beatings in horrendous conditions. My new AM41s look a bit tougher though (OK, and a bit more “special”). They’re just so good at what they do and are priced semi reasonably.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Five Tens – tougher than Shimano AM40s?’ is closed to new replies.