Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Five ten impacts in winter! Will they fall apart or should I live?
  • benjii19
    Free Member

As above

sharkattack

Only with waterproof socks

EDIT: No, the shoes won’t fall apart I was thinking more about you getting trench foot

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

They will be fine.

If you get them wet, which is enavitable, leave them upside down on a warm radiator overnight.

Job done.

benjii19
    Free Member

Good I didn’t fancy buying a new pair.

roverpig

Mine survived last winter just fine. Mind you, the winters tend to be drier than the summers up here and much of what fell from the sky last winter was snow. So, I was more impressed that they survived last summer really !

muddyfool

Mine have been thoroughly soaked through a few times and are still fine. They do take ages to dry though!

Northwind

Mine fell to bits after 1 winter, but they were the older cardboard ones, I think possibly they’ve fixed that.

Regardless of whether they fall apart, they will be orrible- the world’s grippiest sponges, they soak up water and get heavy and freezing cold.

I think the Sombrio X-Shazams are sold out now but if you can find a pair of those, they’re as close as you can get to a proper winter flat pedal shoe- downright fantastic.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t leave wet Five Tens in the car and let them dry out over a week and then ride, never bothering to clean them. They rot, as I discovered.

Good enough to buy a replacement pair though. I’ll just look after them a bit more now. I’ll also buy some Freeriders to complement them so I have something for less bleak days and casual local rides plus a spare pare when the Impacts are drying out. Thankfully SE England riding doesn’t involve riding through rivers much. It’s just riding in Wales, up north, and in the Alps that I find they get seriously waterlogged. They’ll struggle to dry overnight so a pain if you’re spending several days riding.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Mine have done nearly two years with lots of use. They’re a bit tired but I’ll get another set next spring when they’ve died.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

the older cardboard ones

Mine also had a layer of cardboard under the insole, it didn’t last long so picked it all out.

Have even had them through the washing machine a couple of times (when Mrs. P is out)

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Had mine over three years now, used on my daly commute, and weekend , and night rides. The uppers are still in one piece, they’ve had a bit of tlc. But they’re due for a resole soon. They do hold water better than any camelbak, but I’ve never had an issue with cold feet. I stuff them with newspaper when they get wet, and leave them to dry overnight , and clean and polish them once a month or so. I’ll defiantly be replacing them with either the newer version, or Sam Hills depending on what’s around at the time.

pipiom
    Free Member

See previous thread re five tens ………….. essentially get a waterproof winter hiking shoe/boot ring “feet first” and send them up there……. They’ll send you back a pair of five ten soled winter boots

pipiom
    Free Member

See previous thread re five tens ………….. essentially get a waterproof winter hiking shoe/boot ring “feet first” and send them up there……. They’ll send you back a pair of five ten soled winter boots

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Five ten impacts in winter! Will they fall apart or should I live?’ is closed to new replies.