Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Five Ten Freerider VXi Elements – just how bad are they off the bike?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

MBR review said these had a sole that was so slippery off the bike, especially in winter, that they were almost unusable in some UK areas.

Has anyone tried a pair?

To be honest, the normal Stealth sole is more than grippy enough on pedals for me, but it’s getting hard to find the normal Freerider Elements in stock

Or, any alternatives for something easier to dry and more water resistant than Impacts or Shimano AM’s.

cheers

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Mine are great on and off the bike – I wouldn’t recommend trying to climb wet clay in them, but they’re plenty grippy otherwise.
    Not that element-proof though, mine seem to end up full of water, especially at the moment.

honourablegeorge

fuzzhead – Member

Mine are great on and off the bike – I wouldn’t recommend trying to climb wet clay in them, but they’re plenty grippy otherwise.
    Not that element-proof though, mine seem to end up full of water, especially at the moment.

Don’t think any of the flat shoes have grip when climbing up wet mud/clay. Doubt the tread makes any real difference in that scenario.

Considering a set of these ‘cos my Vans Gravel have separated from the sole. Do they dry out reasonably quickly when they do get wrt?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have used a 😉 after the wet clay bit. 😉

They’re fine for a bit of trail scrambling, haven’t read the mag review but for hike-a-bike and pushing up rocky/muddy trails they’re fine.

I used to have Gravels too – the Five Tens are more built-up and padded than the Gravels and so do take a while longer to dry out. Mine seem to dry out overnight sat on a radiator – much better than Impacts.

Grip is in a different (better) class to the Gravels, but the Gravels are still great shoes.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I have no problems.

Yeah they dont grip very well in muddy conditions but neither did my Am41’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten Freerider VXi Elements – just how bad are they off the bike?’ is closed to new replies.