• This topic has 78 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ste_t.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Five Guys
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone eaten at one of these places? What was it like what is the cost?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Decent upper level burgers. Decent fries
    GBK is better, Byron is worse
    Their system works
    Kids like their multi flavor drink machines.
    Cost to match. More than MacDs, less than Byron as far as I recall.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Après-ski food, in Bozeman, MT.

Great fast food. Nicely cooked burgers, excellent chips, great service. I’m a fan.

simon_g

Not impressed with the Covent Garden one about a year ago. Sweaty, greasy, pretty flavourless. And charged £15 inc fries (which weren’t bad, to be fair) and a drink.

Byron is actually a bit cheaper, their food much better and someone brings it to you on a proper plate to your table. Not stuffed into a bit of foil and make you shuffle off to an awkwardly high shelf to eat it.

I can understand if you’re in some Northern market town they’ve aggressively expanded into that it’s a better offering than McDonalds (although frankly I’d rather eat there at a third of the price) but in London at least there are at least a dozen better options.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

£15? FFS!

That’s silly! When in the US, I use them as they’re cheap, good quality, fast food. £15 is batshitmental pricing, and clearly playing on reputation to make a few quid. Not impressed at all with that!

wallop

Have been once, thought the food was nice. It’s expensive though – bacon cheeseburger and fries is nearly £13. We shared fries but when you add a couple of Brooklyns into the mix then it was best part of £30 for what is essentially the same kind of dining experience as BK or McDs (albeit with much better grub!).

njee20
    Free Member

I really like it. I’m fairly sure two burgers, chips and 2 drinks is about £25 here, which isn’t so mental. Better than GBK and Byron IMO.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

THIS

batshitmental

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

THIS

batshitmental

Where can you find these fine dining outlets so I can avoid like the plague.

pigyn
    Free Member

I have honestly never heard of any of these places, with the exception of McDonalds. In Edinburgh £11 gets you a sit down burger with chips in a beer bar. What a weird place it must be down south

rene59
    Free Member

Five Guys? Never heard of it, sounds like a sausage(fest) place!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What a weird place it must be down south

Not as weird a place as Fort Kinnaird 😀

BoardinBob

£12 for burger and chips in the Glasgow one last week. Chips were good. I prefer GBK

youngrob

Five Guys is good but in Glasgow I’d always go to Bread Meats Bread across the street.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Shite IMHO. HUGELY overpriced, bland and the chips were a soggy mess. Been to Covent Garden and latterly Kingston as the kids were keen despite my protests. It’s amazing really, stick a bit of cooked mince in a brioche, don’t bother to peel the chip spuds, put some pesto on it £15 pounds to you sir for the Italia speciale and they are queueing round the block. Five guys is similar in concept to that but they have monkey nuts.

downshep

Been once, won’t be back. Far more expensive than McD’s, for slightly better fare. Handmade Burger Co better quality for not much more.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Mmm, all the way with relish.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I really like their chips…..altough i think its something like 1600 calories for a large portion. Which i insist on eating all myself 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

Only been to them in Canada where they are a little more expensive than MacDonald but not much but you get more food and better. I really like them but if they are 15 quid over here in the uk that is crazy.

nicko74

I had five guys once, and I still feel violated…

DrJ

There’s always a queue round the block at Covent Garden while GBK down the street is empty. People are weird.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Where are you?

If it’s Manchester just go to Solita.

jonnym92

There are better but for fast food I think it’s pretty good. I personally would rather pay the extra for Five Guys than Mcds/BK etc. I haven’t been to GBK in a long time as it was pretty poor when I last went, so it surprises me to see it compared.

If you’re in London/Manchester there are much better place to grab a burger, but they won’t be as quick. Don’t go to the Covent Garden one as it is permanently busy – Shake Shack is in the market which is also similar to Five Guys, and also priced similarly.

Burger tip for London is either Honest Burgers or Bleecker burger. Both cheaper and better than Five Guys.

convert

There is one in Edinburgh and 3 in Glasgow (and one about to open in Dundee) – it’s not a north, south thing. More of a metropolis thing. Still don’t get it though, can’t envisage spending that much on a ‘snack’. But I wouldn’t go to McDs/BK either.

geoffj

There was a good bottom line on the burger business at the beginning of July. The UK head of 5 guys was on – worth a listen to the podcast.

tenacious_doug – Member

Not as weird a place as Fort Kinnaird

Was expecting a link to vintage Melinda Messenger content – I is disappoint 😳

theotherjonv

It’s good where I am, but where (I think) it’s a franchise business, although there are corporate standards then quality can be different across branches so that doesn’t necessarily mean others will be.

It’s more expensive so somewhere between a snack and run like MCD and a ‘proper’ meal for me and the family. We share chips etc so a meal for me, the wife and 2 kids is around 30-35 depending what we have.

In contrast, we went to BK yesterday (in defence – we got back from holiday at 4am yesterday morning, no food in, I gave the kids free choice for lunch) and 3 of us cost £20. Add the wife in to that would be 25 or so, so another fiver gets you FiveGuys, and quality to me is worth the extra.

PrinceJohn

Never heard of five guys, but I did go to a Byron once. It was pretty shite to be honest. There’s a place in Exeter called ruby’s modern diner or something, not sure if that’s a chain but the food was pretty nice. Personally my favourite is the hub, a small south west based chain.

ratherbeintobago

The chain that’s meant to be really good is In-N-Out but they seem to only be in the SW US.

lunge

My wife likes them but I can’t eat there as they cook their chips in peanut oil, This is a shame as it always smells good.

In’n’Out Burger is phenomenal, brilliant burgers there, not in the UK though sadly.

Pigface
    Free Member

In n Out are brilliant. Animal style 😛

MrSmith
    Free Member

5 guys is for people who who think noting of standing in a queue for Breakfast Club for an hour or so in Soho is worth it (mainly out of towners/tourists), it isn’t.

far better burgers at Meat liquor, Spuntino, Patty and Bun, Bleeker etc etc.

rondo101
    Free Member

Much like the pulled-pork craze of 3 years ago, the last 2 year’s rise of “gormet” burgers is essentially a license to print money. Cheap ingredients, cooked well, charged at a premium. That said, some places do get it very right; If you’re ever in Bristol, Chomp (round the back of St Nick’s market) is the place to go.

Mexican is where its at now…

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

far better burgers at Meat liquor, Spuntino, Patty and Bun, Bleeker etc etc.

+1 (apparently).
    I’ll admit I’ve never bothered with 5 guys, as several folk I know and trust on their food choices pretty much say exactly as above. I’m rarely in the big smoke (or Fort Kinnaird) so when I am in London I’d rather try somewhere that I know is excellent, of which all of the above are, than spend my money on a slightly posher version of Burger King.

DrJ

5 guys is for people who who think noting of standing in a queue for Breakfast Club for an hour or so in Soho is worth it (mainly out of towners/tourists), it isn’t.

How could it POSSIBLY be worth waiting for Breakfast Club? I know I’m not the most patient person in the world but I just don’t understand how people can do that.

toby1

When other options aren’t to hand Five Guys is fine, the burgers are good in my experience and you may get carried away with over ordering on fries that puts the price up.

There are of course better places to eat, but we are talking burgers here so not exactly haute cuisine.

Some people need to relax and just enjoy a bacon cheese burger from time to time.

ericemel
    Free Member

Decent upper level burgers. Decent fries
    GBK is better, Byron is worse

Interesting I find:

Byron>Shake Shack>5 Guys>GBK

But cant agree more:

Meat liquor, Spuntino, Patty and Bun, Bleeker

with the addition of Dirty Burger and Burger Bear.

anyways I am a fan of 5, makes for a good post beer burger and you can order on the app and collect while passing (got one 5 mins walk from my house). I don’t see the point of the double burger, single hits the spot, dogs are ok.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah, its okay but to be honest I had a BK in Brazil that was just as good. Jonv – £25 would be for two folk, dread to think what a family of five would be!

slowoldman

Not sure about Five Guys but I do remember this from my youth:

trail_rat
    Free Member

how does this country make such a mess out of a burger joint.

fuddruckers is hardly the pinicle of burgers in the us – yet surpasses any of the mass chain burger joints ive had the pleasure of in the uk.

Handmade burger co was just a bland tasteless patty.

ourmaninthenorth

I tried Five Guys*. Wasn’t all that. I had GBK last night. Wasn’t all that (never has been IMO).

Best burger I ever had was at a Huey’s in Memphis, right next to the Peabody Hotel.

*I work for the UK owners. Decided to see what they’d been up to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Five Guys’ is closed to new replies.