Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fitting your own burglar alarm system
  • greenboy
    Free Member

Just renewed my home insurance on the understanding I fit an alarm rated at EN50131 Grade 2.
    I was thinking about a wireless system with GSM control, anyone done it, what system did you choose?

thanks

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Can’t answer your question but its worth thinking about the two basic kinds of alarm. Cheaper kind operate on PIR sensors which only go off once someone is already inside your house. More expensive kind have door detectors and break glass detectors on all the windows and go off before someone actually gets in.

greenboy
    Free Member

Good point, thanks.

ThePinkster

In my experience insurance companies won’t accept a self installed alarm for reduction in rates as it normally needs to be fitted and maintained by a recognised company.

This has pee’d me off greatly as I used to be a certified alarms installer so have a pretty good idea what I’m doing with them but no matter what although I’ve installed my own they won’t recognise it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I fitted one of the Response wireless alarm systems for the shed (linky) and it was straightforward. You can get door/window sensors as well as PIRs. That said, I fitted it for my peace of mind rather than for insurance reasons.

[EDIT – I’m not a natural born DIYer so if I can do it, it must be easy]

br
    Free Member

Just renewed my home insurance on the understanding I fit an alarm rated at EN50131 Grade 2.

Was it a large saving on premium, and surely it needs to be installed and working from minute one of the contract?

bear-uk
    Free Member

My DIY fitted alarm has to be serviced by a firm for me to get insurance discount.
    Reminds me the batteries could do with replacing although its only about 15 years old 😯
    I would deffo go for a hard wired system if possible, mine has never been any trouble. Recently replaced the Pir’s with some Bosch blue led ones and they look mint.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fitting your own burglar alarm system’ is closed to new replies.