Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitting full mudguards to a bike with no seatstay or chainstay bridge?
  • lovewookie

Hi,

Managed to fit some SKS commuter mudguards to my inbred last night. sized up pretty well and working fine albeit via use of a lot of zip ties.

any cleaner and possibly more secure ways to do it bearing in mind there’s rack mounts, but no hole for mudguards on the wishbone and there’s no chainstay bridge to tie to.

I’ve had to leave the chainstay bit of the mudguard kinda dangling, tethered to the seattube loose enough so it doesn’t pull the to pf the guard onto the tyre, but tight enough so when on rough stuff the mudguard doesn’t fold up on the tyre.

Would welcome neater solutions if you have any?

thanks

TiRed

Band on derailleur hanger reversed with a small bracket at the base of the seat tube has been done before. You could probably improvise the same from an old oversize handlebar reflector mount (i’ve loads if you want one!)

z1ppy

Do you have the canti mounts? If so, dump the sks and buy one of these

]

It’s the best rear mud guard I’ve used, fits nice and tight to the wheel.
    Zefal do a rip off of it too, that doesn’t use the canti mounts

Obviously no help if you really need the “full” coverage of the SKS commuter guards

jamiep
    Free Member

Rubber-rapped P-clips off ebay. Zip ties will break loose after a while, with potentially nasty consequenses

lovewookie

I wanted full guards as the amount of crap getting thrown on the drivetrain of my very neglected ‘take-it-out-in-crap-weather-then-put-it-in-the-shed-again’ bike. The fully mudguarded bike I had before could manage a few rides before crying out for a swift squirt with muc off.

Jamiep, It’s got bosses for rack/mudguards on the dropouts, it’s the bridges I need a neater solution for.

Liking the old reflector mount idea, I’ve a few of those….

ta

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used a Cateye rear led light bracket. If it fits around a seat post it may well fit around the seat tube. I pared off the slot that the light fitted into then drilled through the flat face and bolted the mudguard to it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I now own the frame McMoonter did that ^ to 🙂

I’ve got narrower tyres and smaller mudguards, so the same bracket didn’t work (thanks anyway Peter!)

I used the seatstay-bracket from another mudguard.

Flattned the bolt-hole bit, zip-tied it both chainstays and bolted the ‘guard to it.
    I also did some very nice bending of the mudguard stays to get around the brake calliper.

I’ll get some pics, erm sometime…

lovewookie

I’ve got two zip ties underneath that bit, then put it round the guard as you’re supposed to. then zip tied it to the jutty out bits of the wishbone part of the inbred seatstay. seems to hold ok. Other way I thought may be to loop a tie through the eye hole and round the round bit of the wishbone.

Alternatively I could just drill a hole and use a self tapper.

slowly coming to a solution, 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

you misunderstand me, I’ve used an extra bracket zip-tied between the chainstays and bolted the guard to it.

lovewookie

ahh,

you did engineering didn’t you?

ta muchly.

I’ll need to dig out my spares to see what I can bodge together.

TiRed

I have also seen zipties around the chainstays, but would support the bracket solution.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I finally got a pic of the stays:

Need to get one of the chainstay bracket now…

lovewookie

nice.

🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitting full mudguards to a bike with no seatstay or chainstay bridge?’ is closed to new replies.