Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting frame bearings what's the definitive way ?
  • oldfart

Why I ask ? My Process has just had its third set in as many years , first time fitted “dry” , second time (different bike shop ) they use Enduro Max bearings said they always Loctite them in , sounded convincing thought it was going to be a long term solution that’s the correct way apparently?, that didn’t last more than 5 months ! Ongoing issues with the bike meant I got Kona involved , just had ANOTHER set fitted by a Kona dealer (Kona’s own bearings?) showed me the old ones , some of the Loctite had gotten behind the bearings and wrecked the seals ! To quote the Kona Dealer ” Anyone who Loctite’s frame bearings in is an idiot ” ???
    Before the Loctited bearing job was done I E Mailed Kona’s Tech guy he reckoned there was no right or wrong way just down to personal preference ? Why is there no consistency? Doing my head in especially as I’m not convinced changing bearings is going to cure the ongoing issues with the bike . After a bearing change bike works fine for a while then develops a graunch/Creak type noise under load which no one can identify? Yes all the usual suspects have been tried . So far I’ve thrown the fat end of £3 to £400 at the problem , doing my head in !

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m presume we are talking BB30.?

frogstomp

Or maybe pivot / suspension bearings..?

oldfart

Frame bearings as per title , not BB .

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I would never loctite frame bearings in-nor have I ever seen it done.I think the only time I’d consider doing it was maybe if I had an out of warranty problem with frame wear around a bearing seat-then it would be the bearing install/locking type loctite I’d use.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had to do it on my old Gary Fisher because they’d fall out otherwise. It relied on the loctite.

Nothing useful to add though, sorry.

coconut
    Free Member

loctite!!..no chance. You need to freeze the bearing or add a little grease to the outside to get them in.

tjagain

There is a loctite product called “bearing fit” that is very useful in cases where the bearing seat is oversize or oval but otherwise no – you don’t loctite them in.

Freeze the bearing, warm the frame, a touch of grease and press it in

rOcKeTdOg

No loctite, maybe some assembly grease but not imperative. Torquing the bolts correctly is more important. Too tight and the seals squeeze the bearing and you can get premature wear. This does depend on the frame/bearing cover/bolt etc etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the frame and the fit for that.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bushings (shock) not bearings on my nukeproof. 6 trips back to crc and many emails. One set in 6 weeks and tried to fob me off with normal wear and tear. They then went to tf tuned and purchased some proper ones and fitted them. Nearly 9 months of riding now and no play…

oldfart

Seems like Loctite man is on his own!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting frame bearings what's the definitive way ?’ is closed to new replies.