Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Fitting forks
  • faceplanter99
    Free Member

Hi
    Building my first bike so everything is new to me. I recieved my forks today (Fox Float 32 RL 1.5) and kinda dry fitted them to my frame (Mountain cycle Battery) that has a FSA Orbit extreme pro 1.5 headset. The steerer tube slides in easy fitting snug, but between the headset and the fork crown there is a gap of 5mm. Should I tap it home when I come to fit it properly with a block and hammer? Does the gap matter?
    Don’t want bollox up as not cheap and very beautiful!!

Cheers

Shorty121
    Free Member

I think the gap is normal but get someone else to verify

JAG

I’ve fitted three sets of forks in the last few years and there has never been a gap when finished.

However; have a look at the installation instructions that came with your forks – I’m assuming they’re new. If you didn’t get any instructions then have a search on the internet as you may find the info’ that way.

JAG

Have a look here, I don’t think there’s a gap…

faceplanter99
    Free Member

As I thought Jag!
    Shall I start swinging the trusty mallet or is there a less brutal method?

Stoner
    Free Member

Is the gap between the crown race and the crown or the lower headset cup and the crown race?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a gap.
    I have a piece of plastic plumbing pipe which is 1 1/8″ and a tiny bit diameter. I put the crown race on, put the pipe over the steerer, one hard hit with a mallet and the crown race is seated.
    Building a new bike is always fun Faceplanter, once you’ve done one it will bemuch less daunting. If you are anywhere near South Lincs you are welcome to pop round for advice and assistance.

dantsw13

Faceplanter – I assume you have removed the crown race from your old fork and fitted it to your new one?

faceplanter99
    Free Member

[img]http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8039563/[/img]

Stoner
    Free Member

Right. Your crown race is not fitted properly.

Take it back off and drop it in a cup of boiling (BOILING!) water.
    Grease the last 5mm of the steerer tube.

Drive the (hot) crown race on with some plastic pipe until its seated flat on the crown.

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Not sure on terminology guys!! Crown race? Headset cup?
    Put some pics on pinkbike –
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8039562/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8039563/

andrewh
    Free Member

No. Not meant to be like that!
    Black bit that says FSA is the headset cup.
    Silver ring perched underneath is the crown race, that should sit right at the bottom of the steerer tube (pipe stick up from the forks which goes through the frame) on the top the crown of the fork.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

crown race is the stainless steel ring that slips over the steerer
    crown is the top of the fork legs
    Headset cup (top & bottom) fit in the head tube.
    Bearings fit in the headset cups.

EDIT:

Crown race is upside down I think

no it isnt. See how it sits properly in the lower bearing race.

EDIT2: cheeky Edit shorty 🙂

Shorty121
    Free Member

Haha yeah I noticed after the second picture 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

I don’t know. If you look at the pic where it’s all together you can still see some crown race sticking out under the headset cup. I only have Hope and CK headsets but none of them have that, the cups entirely cover th crown race. Maybe FSA is different?
    Face, take the crown race back off the fork and then try it in the cup, which way up does it rotate smoothly?

Stoner
    Free Member

you can still see some crown race sticking out under the headset cup.

that’s perfectly normal.

faceplanter99
    Free Member

How easy should it be to get the crown race down to the fork crown? Does it require a bit of persuasion??

Stoner
    Free Member

yes. Its an interference fit.
    But its made much easier when you allow the ring to expand as a result of heating. And a little dab of lube helps it on. You may not even need the waste pipe drift.

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Took the crown race off, defo on the right way, runs smooth in the cup.

robhughes
    Free Member

Take it off and cut a slot in it…. 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Daft Q time – we’re allowed daft Q’s aren’t we!

That looks like a 1.5 steerer. Is it a 1.5 crownrace?

Otherwise it takes exactly approx one “proper” moderate whack (not a gentle whack – but not a vein busting one) with a mallet to the appropriate sized pipe to seat a crown race.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cut it in half then. 😆

iridebikes
    Free Member

just use a srewdriver and mallet…

chrisdw
    Free Member

I only have Hope and CK headsets but none of them have that, the cups entirely cover th crown race

Not on the hope ones… it might look like it does because of the rubber seal, but hope actually has a little gap beneath this seal.

just use a srewdriver and mallet…

This

mjsmke

Or take the forks to your local bike shop and watch then use the correct tool to fit the race correctly…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Slight hijack – is there any reason not to put a hacksaw cut in it to make it easier to take on and off? I think some headsets come supplied with split crown races.

robhughes
    Free Member

Nope….No reason what so ever.
    If it,s good enough for Hope. 😉

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Fitted perfect now!! Took it to LBS and they advised but did not have a 1.5 tool to do it. When I returned home I looked for a tube just over 1.5 and found a parasol holder base was a mint fit. Forks inverted into the base, bit of wood on the underside of the crown with a few swift taps and a bit o lithium grease it was seated perfectly in no time!! Improv, the mother of neccesity!! Love it!!!

robhughes
    Free Member

It,s weird that you can always find something that suits the job….
    Bit of garden furniture….Love it.. 😉

motivforz
    Free Member

Is there anything wrong with using a stem and screwing a bolt into the the stem cap/star fangled nut to press the crown race down?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

When my crown race wouldn’t quite sit properly and had a few mm gap between itself and the crown, I just fitted the forks, gap and all, rode it around for 2 minutes and it seated itself. Then I just adjusted the headset to remove the play. Easy peasy.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Fitting forks’ is closed to new replies.