Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fitting chainrings: YouTube suggestions please
  • ElShalimo

Please recommend a YouTube instructional video for replacing chainrings on a triple chainset.
    I’ve never done it before
    😯
    Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Er, remove cranks. Undo bolts replace rings. Probably something on the park site. Only tricky bit is getting the tool for the back of the bolts. Nothing complex to it at all.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Little tip from me after a recent mishap… Make sure the hex key is properly seated in the bolt. They can be very tight & are very easy to round. The metal seems very soft. Secondly wear thick gloves…when your hand slips and knuckles punch the chain ring it hurts. A lot!

jekkyl

The writing on the 2 smaller rings goes fscingfacing inwards towards the frame and there should be a little tab on the inside of the rings, just line them up. The big ring is easy to fit coz there’s a little metal pin that sticks out, put that facing outwards under crank as it stops the chain falling past. It’s all dead easy. 🙂

Yak

All as above. Tabs line up with the crank. Use a proper chainring bolt tool, or something that properly fits the slots too. (more important for the bolt removal than the doing up.) I also threadlock the bolts.

Edit – a steel ruler is a reasonable bodge substitute for a chainring bolt tool.

Stevet1
    Free Member

The writing on the 2 smaller rings goes facing inwards towards the frame

I’ve always done outer and middle rings with writing facing outwards, inner ring facing inwards. It’s pretty obvious though due to the shifting ramps etc, only tricky one is the little ring because that’s normally just plain sided.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Park tools and the instructions from the manufacturer. Not all rings are arranged the same way (text in/text out).

neilwheel
    Free Member

OP have you even tried typing “replacing chainrings on a triple chainset” in to Youtube search and looking at the results?

CraigW
    Free Member

Wrap a chain around the big ring. Then if your hand slips on to it, it does’t injure you as much.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fitting chainrings: YouTube suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.