Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting an outside (security type) light
  • theotherjonv

I just bought a movement sensitive halogen bulb lamp to light my back patio for late night bike washing, etc. The light unit itself has no cable, just a weather proof cable gland and a connector block inside the light.

Do i need special cable? I just want to run this off a 3 pin plug socket rather than wire it to the lighting circuit; I can then run it from a socket in the garage through the garage roof to the light so the exposed run will be minimal.

iDave
    Free Member

directional gold cable

prettygreenparrot

you could do it that way. Just make sure you have the right CSA of copper in your cable and the appropriate fuse.

prettygreenparrot

This cable might obviate the need for the lamp as it appears to have magical properties Denon AKDL1

turin
    Free Member

it should be artic cable, if you want to do it right. That is resistant to the UV light and suitable for the outdoors, which twin and earth is not. B&Q sell a 10m 1.5mm cutting for under £13

Having said that i have seen twin and earth which has been used to supply outside lights for decades and its still working without presenting any danger.

Just wire it up in 1mm sq 3-core flex, with a 3, or 5 amp fuse in your plug top and you’ll be fine. Twin and earth will also be fine.

I’m a sparky btw.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think B&Q only do the artic cable in yellow anyway, though it might just be my store that doesn’t do the blue version.

Don’t touch the bulb and make sure it’s level. Again not sure if it’s an old wives tale about those lamps blowing if they’re on a tilt?

Pieface

old wives tale

allthepies
    Free Member

Arctic (presumably not artic) cable for Guildford 😆

theotherjonv

I’ll have you know according to my garden thermometer it’s not yet 10deg outside.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting an outside (security type) light’ is closed to new replies.