Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fitting a Sram XD cassette onto a XD freehub help.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m trying to fit a XG1150 cassette to a Hope XX1/XD Pro4 freehub but I’m having a bit of trouble.

When I push the cassette onto the freehub, the splines at the back barely engage (feels like 3 or 4mm) before the threads on the cassette meet the threads on the freehub. I start to tighten the lock ring in the middle of the cassette to pull it onto the freehub, the lock ring turns (by hand with just the cassette tool) probably two or three times before it goes solid.

Is this normal? Does it just then need more force ie with a torque wrench to then allow the lock ring to pull the cassette onto the freehub? The splines on the freehub don’t seem to match the splines in the back of the cassette, they are spaced evenly but quite shallow on the cassette but quite deep and in an uneven fashion on the freehub. No matter where I position the cassette on the freehub the depth of engagement is always the same. I’ve had a good look on the interwebs but I’m struggling to find any tutorials etc. I normally use Shimano cassettes which are pretty self explanatory.

Thanks.

konanige

Hi there, this sounds pretty much the same as mine, its fairly tight to get wound on as it pulls the cassette onto the freehub, just continue with the spanner and then use a torque wrench for the final bit as its pretty FT.

Stevet1
    Free Member

see what you mean about the freehub body, looks like an extra bit’s been milled out on the LHS of that indent. Can’t remember if mine looked like that when I fitted it recently.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds like it might just need the extra persuasion then?

Just seems odd that the splines on either part do not appear to match. Just a tad worried fudging a brand new freehub and cassette.

honourablegeorge

Use a LOT of antiseize or grease on the freehub. Don’t want it seizing

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Yep, just needed winding on with the torque wrench. Thanks George, lagged the freehub and cassette with grease as everyone has said the same.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a Sram XD cassette onto a XD freehub help.’ is closed to new replies.