Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • fitting a shimano chain
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I reckon I have missed a trick here. Just about to fit a new 11speed Shimano chain to a new set up. Not used 11 speed or Shimano before. Just how the hell do I join it? The link has a pin half way through it just like an old 8 speed chain. Aren’t Shimano chains supposed to have funny breakable pins or something? Do I just fit it like an older chain without any snap link. Can’t see the dome being right somehow. Sealed bag so I know something is not missing.

scotroutes

What does it say in the instructions? They’ll be in the box or available online.

mattsccm
    Free Member

No box , bag. No instructions. Not yet found Shimano instructions.

scotroutes

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-CN0001-04-ENG.pdf

Any 11 speed Shimano chain I’ve seen had a separate pin. Having said that, I just use KMC connecting links.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Buy a kmc quick link, use that.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Suspect correct bit didn’t arrive from CRC and they have none in stock. Grrr

humattzee

Bought a 10 speed chain from CRC couple of weeks back and had the same issue with there being no connecting pin in the sealed bag…. Picked up some spare pins from the LBS

bikeneil
    Free Member

Suspect correct bit didn’t arrive from CRC and they have none in stock. Grrr

The joys of buying online.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Presuming 10spd quick links are ok with 11spd?? Got an 11 spd upgrade for one of my bikes and have a few 10spd links but no 11…

mattsccm
    Free Member

10 speed works fine and CRC are sending me the correct one as well.

dirtydog
    Free Member

The link has a pin half way through it just like an old 8 speed chain. Aren’t Shimano chains supposed to have funny breakable pins or something?

The one I bought recently didn’t, just a pin half way through that I pushed in with a chain tool. No longer a guide pin to break off, it’s already half way through, it doesn’t need one.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Fitting instructions can be found Here

simondbarnes

Non OEM ones come with a proper joining pin with guide pin that you break off after fitting.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The joining pin (i.e. the one that you snap off) is just for RE-joining a chain. It’s ever so slightly thicker than the standard pin. This is because Shimano belive the hole stretches (oo-er) when the original pin is pushed in. If you re-used the original pin then it would not be as tight-a fit second time round.

A new shimano chain has a standard pin that is just pushed into place. The hole it goes into has never been stretched so you don’t need a joining pin.

As above I use KMC links (and KMC chains now).

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Thats actually pretty handy that it’s partially installed as it should reduce the end user removing links off the ‘wrong end’ when shortening. I always leave the outerplate end alone until its being joined.
    There’s nothing like pitting the pin in an unspoiled hole 😉

Teapot
    Free Member

The 1/2 pushed in pin is for OEMs to fit with an airgun in the factory and aren’t designed for use with a chain tool. If you try to fit it with a chain tool there’s a real chance, especially with 11 speed, that you could damage the link.

Best to get the proper pin to be on the safe side.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

😕 You mean being able to get 2 or 3 chains plus a couple of quick links for the price of one bike shop chain? Oh, and not having to wait for them to order something decent in as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘fitting a shimano chain’ is closed to new replies.