Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fitting a road bottom bracket on a Mountain bike
  • william
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I have accidently ordered an ultegra BB for my one one 456, it is for the right size BB and having put it on it seems to fit alright.

Will there be any problems do you think?

5lab

crappy seals?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got an xt one on the cx bike….I hav’nt died,yet.Although I might in the future.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stuey01
    Free Member

You’ll soon find yourself looking quizzically at your camelbak thinking but “I could put a bottle on my bike and put stuff in my jersey pockets”
    Then you’ll remove the peak from your helmet.

This is how it starts.

william
    Free Member

I was thinking about it having poor seals, but as long as it lasts a few months. I was just wondering if it would die from drops etc.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😆 @ stuey.
    Drops of what? 😯

william
    Free Member

Drops on the trail.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have one on mine and its no bother

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think the cups dont have as much thread on them, compared to std MTB ones.

william
    Free Member

OK thanks for the responses. How long has yours been on Podge?

schmiken

The cups are slightly thicker than MTB ones, think it’s about 1mm each side IIRC.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

The threads are a lot shorter – you’ll be fine with a 68mm shell, but a 73mm shell is a no go (It’ll fit – just – but barely screw in on one side)

andyl
    Free Member

nixon_fiend – Member
    The threads are a lot shorter – you’ll be fine with a 68mm shell, but a 73mm shell is a no go (It’ll fit – just – but barely screw in on one side)

you mean with a 73mm shell you’ll be okay and a 68mm will be a no go?

whinosp
    Free Member

I used an Uletgra BB on my Giant Glory for close to a year. The Glory has a BIG BB shell (think its supposed to be 83mm? Maybe 85mm). I took the plastic sheath thing from the old BB and everything fitted together nicely. No problems with threads etc, no problem with seals. Just killed it eventually with my incompetent DHing.

wwaswas

aren’t the actual bearing housings a different thickness too?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a road bottom bracket on a Mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.