Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fitting a new x type chainset
  • kwack
    Free Member

The time has come to retire my old ISIS Race Face and I have purchased a new X Type Raceface chainset.

Can anyone advise/tips on installing these and whether the tool I have linked is any good or whether a open one is better?

Cyclo Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket Tool on CRC

Thanks
    Kwack

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Follow the instructions to the letter, especially regarding getting the spindle washers in the right place to get the bearing preload right. You may have to assemble & take apart several times to get the cranks to spin reasonably freely withoutanyfre play (they will never spin completely freely). The drive-side crank must be fully tighened to a solid stop unlike Shimano cranks which have to be manually adjsted for preload before clamping the crank to the spindle

enfht
    Free Member

I fitted a new x type last week (first time 😮 )

Probably no need to face unless the frame is new or just sprayed

Measure bb to make sure you’re within tolerance

clean and double-clean the threads so there’s zero grit

the bb should wind on freely, if any resistence back it off and start again – don’t want to cross threads

+1 as above make sure you use the right number of washers

+1 tightens to hard stop, long handed tool is better

+1 read AND the understand manual first

remember to grease where you need to

I took an educated guess on the chainline setting but because I fitted a double front ring the chainline was less critical

coatesy
    Free Member

Remember to put the plastic end cap on the axle(or don’t to remove it) before feeding it through the BB cups, i’ve lost count of the number of “top hats” i’ve seen that have been smashed by the cack-handed during assembly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a new x type chainset’ is closed to new replies.