Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting a new chain
  • sturmey
    Free Member

This is something that has been a niggle for a while. Everytime I replace a chain I can't decide if it's better to leave the ticky tacky on the chain and just run it and relube when needed or degrease it from the start and apply lube. Is the ticky tacky stuff on a new chain just to stop corrosion like on car brake discs or is it lube? If it was just for protection till it was fitted why use it on plated chains? I cant make my mind up maybe someone else can for me.

bigdonx
    Free Member

I have never cleaned a chain before use…..BUT….recently read somewhere that the ticky-tacky stuff is just some sort of storage protection and should be cleaned off and the chain properly lubed.

Makes sense really since the ticky-tacky stuff (by definition of it's name) is ticky-tacky and bad stuff will stick to it……

Think I'll be cleaning mine from now on.

Jase
    Free Member

I clean mine firsy with a rag soaked in muc off.

Northwind

I know Sheldon always said that the factory grease was the best lube there is, I'm not convinced myself as it's very sticky, it does feel like a thick moisture protection rather than a cycling grease. I end up cleaning mine after 1 ride anyway, since either a) it's manky and wet and the chain's full of mud or b) it's dry and the sticky grease means the chain's covered in dust. So I doubt it makes much difference either way.

alexpalacefan

Get it off! The chain will be WAY dirtier afer a ride with that stuff attracting all the crud within 100m.

A

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i leave it on. i have never had a problem. the again i never lube my chains until they make a horrid sound.

woops

fisha
    Free Member

i'm the same…. run till it grinds, lube. repeat.

Coleman
    Free Member

I would always leave it on. Ok to wipe off the outside but don't clean it initially with a solvent as it will wash the grease out of the pins and bushings. The most important area for lube is around the pins and bushing as this is where the wear takes place – any on the outside is really surplus to requirements and just attracts dirt.

grumm
    Free Member

I just leave it on but add some normal lube – seems fine.

enfht
    Free Member

I used to leave it on but ever since I began using Rock N Roll lube it seems daft having a coating that actively attracts dirt and grit – even if it's what the manufacturer suggests.

Degrease, dry, Rock N Roll lube. Job done 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a new chain’ is closed to new replies.