Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fitted an external 12V socket – Van/Camper/Motorhome
  • snownrock

All,

I would like to fit an external 12v socket to our camper (Vivaro) to power our awning light. I want a tidier solution than trailing a lead through the sliding door and into the van. I am looking at fitting an external socket, either in the side or under the van, I don’t mind cutting holes etc.

Something like this Link (or an IP rated variant of). And I can just wire a universal (ciggarete lighter) socket onto my awning light.

Has anyone done similar and have any suggestions or pics of installs?

IHN

If it’s a 12V awning light, have you thought about getting a rechargeable 12V battery to keep in the awning and wiring the light to that? Seems less hassle than drilling holes in the van, making sure they’re watertight, sealing the socket from the amount of crap that will be thrown at it when driving in winter etc.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m in the throes of the same thing, and a Trafic as well, to boot. For me the purpose is to power my telescope’s electronics.

Having thought about it a while, I was going to go under the van to do mine, and have the socket secured directly under the sill of the van, in-line vertically with the fuel filler flap. The socket you’ve linked to should be good for that.

This way, I’ll avoid the sliding door sliding into cables, etc.

What I’d really like to do, though, is mount it under the fuel filler flap- this should also be doable.

crogthomas
    Free Member

I’m not sure having a potential source of sparks near the fuel filler is the best idea.

codybrennan
    Free Member

crogthomas – Member
    I’m not sure having a potential source of sparks near the fuel filler is the best idea.

Its diesel, so no risk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just fit and awning light to the side of the van and put the switch internally.

Remove the corrosion of unprotected contacts that a 12v socket will bring – we all know how good trailer plugs are after a while in the salt spray…..

jonr8
    Free Member

Fittted this one to my relay. Really good and all wired and switch internally.
    Picture here.

freeagent
    Free Member

I saw a Landrover Defender at an outdoor/adventure show a few years ago which had various sockets hidden behind the rear number plate.
    Basically they’d fitted the number plate to hinges, so it could be flipped up to reveal a recessed panel with 12V/240V/airline connections.

When the connections were not needed the number plate was secured in place with little turn-buckles.
    It even had a ‘gasket’ made from draft excluder on the back of the plate to keep the dust out.
    A bit of a drastic solution, but pretty clever.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got a 12v socket on the back of my Landy – to power the fridge outside of vehicle under a rear awning. Fitting it is easy – drill a hole, wire it in with a fuse ( + internal switch if required ) and away you go.

Obviously find a place whwere it won’t get drenched/covered in spray when driving.

The type I got had a screw on cap with a rubber seal – it has stayed good since being fitted in 2009.

brassneck

I just use a portable jump battery – they usually come with 12v, USB outputs, 9Ah or something like that lasts a reasonably long time.

snownrock

Thanks all for the suggestions, tried using a battery last year. Just ended up with a battery that we forgot to charge and wasn’t much use to us when required. Would like to do this for a ‘fit & forget’ pitch up and plug in install. The awning (driveaway, not roll out) light is remote controlled so once plugged in can be controlled from wherever.

Thanks for the suggestions, just wanted to see if anyone had any innovative ideas.

mrjmt
    Free Member

How about using a motorcycle 12v socket?

sure there’ll be other variants.

cranberry
    Free Member

This’ll do:

clicky

codybrennan
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    This’ll do:

clicky

Same as the one in the OP’s link.

nickdavies

I’d drop one of those recessed 12v sockets with a cover into the wheel arch under the bonnet, depending where your leisure wiring is should be pretty easy to pick the 12v up. Could go straight off the vehicle battery which would be likely easier depending how much draw the light takes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fitted an external 12V socket – Van/Camper/Motorhome’ is closed to new replies.