Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fitness trackers: opinions please?
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one for the Mrs. We’ve just had Jr #3 and now she is keen to get back to her previous levels of fitness etc (and I might be persuaded I need another gimmick too).

Any one of the many fitness system things any better than the others. I have a Garmin 910 that I use for cycling, running (stumbling!) and the occasional Tri. I log it all on Strava rather than the Garmin site. The Mrs has another Garmin that she uses for running… But doesn’t really use any of the websites.

So are we better sticking with the Garmin options? Or is another system just better for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Travis

Been using a Garmin bracelet one for a while (Vivo?) which was good for the red line appearing to remind me to move, and also count steps.
    Then I had to go for a medical, and there was some concern of my heart beat, so I decided to get one with a HR tracker built in.
    So I got the Fitbit Charge HR.
    I like that it can track pretty much everything except gps.
    I like the built in HR function, especially for monitoring sleep levels, as it records the resting HR, and I can see where different lifestyle events have different effect. (Go to bed drunk and my resting HR is higher)
    I wanted a Garmin Vivoactive, (the watch one) but didn’t want to have to put on a HR strap each time, as I’m using it for more lifestyle than training.
    Like you, I have a 910 and use it as you do.
    Daily wise, the Charge HR is my daily watch, lasting around 5 days between charge (2 hours)
    The only downside to it is, is that it isn’t waterproof, although the wife accidentally wore hears into the shower once, and it survived.

redwoods
    Free Member

I have this Garmin Vivofit bundle with the heart rate monitor included.

I use it with the HRM for running and cycling and sync it with the Garmin Connect app on my phone but otherwise just use the wristband for tracking steps and monitoring sleep (it just gives you a rough idea I don’t think it’s desperately accurate!). The garmin connect app also syncs with MyFitnessPal if you use that for food/activity logging, which I do so find that pretty useful.

One thing that appealed to me about the Vivofit was that it’s a plastic strap (I’m sensitive to nickel so don’t want any nasty metal bits on it) that doesn’t irritate me and it doesn’t need recharging every five minutes. The little battery lasts for a year and you then just replace it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have a Vivofit 2 which has been great in that it highlighted to me how little I move during the day and has encouraged me to try and do at least seven miles walking a day (and eat a lot less..). As a result I’ve lost just over two stone in three months.

Having said all that, now I have my routine sorted out the band is a little redundant to be honest.

DaveRambo

Mrs Rambo is after one and I’ve just ordered her a Fitbit after she talked to friends who own them.

I can report back after the weekend on how she likes it.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had a fuelband for a few years now. The iOS Health app has made it redundant but I find the band is a lot less intrusive than carrying a phone around EVERYWHERE

I don’t use it for targets and goals and stuff it’s just a gentle reminder to keep moving

special_noodles
    Free Member

I’ve got a fitbit surge and it’s good – tracks riding as well as my garmin 510. The wife has a charge HR which is smaller and she loves it. Works well with iphone etc heart rate is accurate as well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fitness trackers: opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.