Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • fitness bands etc
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bought myself a Microsoft Band 2 yesterday, set it up with the phone app & inputted my data.
    Apparently I need to burn 1900 calories a day & take 5000 steps. Went out for a short road ride (30 miles) and I’m almost 1000 calories over target, and almost at the step count despite being parked in front of the telly all afternoon apart from walking to the shop for beer.
    Who sets these parameters and who are they aimed at, because it seems it isn’t aimed at me!

wildheart
    Free Member

Try the Microsoft Band 2 forum,its all on there.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ta, will have a look. Just seems rather low parameters tbh. Will be interesting at work as I’m on my feet all day!

GrahamS

You’re surprised a 30 mile road ride puts you over 5000 steps?

FWIW I’ve got a Garmin band and the target is adaptive. If you consistently hit it then it gradually increases it. Likewise if you keep missing it then it lowers. I imagine the Microsoft one is similar.

Personally on a week day I have a very sedentary job, so if I drive to work then I have to go for a brisk twenty minute lunchtime walk just to hit 5000 steps in a day. 😳

Thursday’s are fine though, because I have the walk to the pub 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps it has not yet learnt that you’re a shortarse that carries a big battle axe everywhere? That must bugger up the step counting and calorie sums surely?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Stop using the ‘Teleporter’ sends the device out of whack.
    PS
    Also taking your axe through a Teleporter is frowned upon.

CraigW
    Free Member

A lot of these fitness bands are useless for cycling. As they are based on arm movement, you could cycle miles and not record any steps. Or they record steps for every little vibration, or each time you turn the handlebars etc.

And the calorie calculations can also be dubious.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s mistaken every mile cycled for a mile walked

HTH

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It appears to differentiate between cycling and walking – if you activate the cycling function, which I did.
    Seems I was 1000+ calories over my target yesterday so today should be interesting given I’m doing a 60+ mile loop!
    I do hope its adaptive, will be interesting to see what the figures are at the end of the first week given I have a physically active job and I commute by bike.
    I use a GPS computer/HR strap on the bike anyway, yesterday’s readings were pretty close between the band and the computer, only two bpm’s apart.

olddog

The usual daily step target is 10000 or 5 miles or so walking. But steps is just a currency for effort and an estimate. In terms of cycling I think that the fit bands with hrm use an algorithm to convert effort to steps. I was going 6plus hour road rides and getting 40000 or so steps. Again if the MS band has GPS and you set to cycling it may be converting distance, speed into steps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘fitness bands etc’ is closed to new replies.