Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)
  • Fit Club: the hundred push ups training program
  • lyons
    Free Member

Surely doing 100 in 2 minutes is harder. I cant understand why you would want to do 100 in 1 minute.

Hairychested
    Free Member

WTF?! 14 only, dammit.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So where should I start? Week 1,2 or what?

Rich
    Free Member

Week one, column three.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve tried and…. can’t do all the sets. I’ blaiming Carlsberg currently 🙁

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I currently do 50 in the morning and 50 after work.

I started out at 25/25, then 30/30, then 35/35 you get the picture.

Can now generally get to 30 without any pain now.

But you ahve to stick with it.

Gonna drop n do an exta 35 now just for the hell of it!

Rich
    Free Member

Didnt really get a build up of pain though, just sudden failure haha.

I did get a clicky elbow though, don’t think that’s good.

Rich
    Free Member

Hairychested – you can use your initial test as the first set as you done them straight after.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks Rich, suddenly I’m a happier man. Wednesday, here comes my biceps!

miketually
    Free Member

Five. Oh dear 😳

My right wrist is a bit iffy though, so I’m blaming that.

theotherjonv

I knew I could do between 11 and 20 anyway* before doing the start off test so started in column 3. Did alright until the last set of ‘as many as poss but at least 9’ and only managed 7 – so I suppose I’ll drop into column 2 on weds night <the shame>

Might be a bit unfair actually because I also started the 200 situps program on Saturday with the as many as you can (25) but today my stomach muscles feel like they are torn in half, such that i can’t even do a single one!!!

So I’ll give that a week and start that next monday properly too.

* I know this because I did a similar but selfdeveloped progam last year; start off with as many as you can comfortably do and every day add one. If you fail any day (or miss a day) take one off. I started with 4 on Jan 2nd and by mid year could comfortably do 40 in a row apart from the boredom factor, so modded that to 3 sets of 20 morning and night which then shamefully lapsed away to nothing.

carlphillips
    Free Member

7, dear god thats pitiful, i blame my moobs making it harder.

theotherjonv

moobs are good – you don’t need to lower as far to touch the ground.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

10, go me! 😀

I used to be able to only eek out about 2… 😳

serious question though, if I follow this program would it make my biceps noticeably bigger? (like, too big?)

theotherjonv

my experience from last year is that it does definitely define a bit of upper body musculature*, but I wouldn’t say too big since you are basically doing a relatively low weight lots of times as opposed to the massive weights a few times that body builders go for.

* regrettably not very visible below a fair layer of flab.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

ah, thankyou. Will go for it then – first set done and dusted

midlifecrashes

Wahay, 35 here but probably went off a bit too fast, should pace myself more. Mind you I can’t ride for xxxx. Must ride more and lift things less. I’ll try it for a week or two, but the jump between weeks three and four looks big.

roper
    Free Member

I did 23 but it would appear I have very limp wrists and had to use a soft babies blanket as extra padding. 🙁

Can anyone explain the “Knuckle” push ups? Is it with the palm still flat or with the fist and wrist straight and pushing up on the clenched fist?

Good luck with the plan whoever is doing it.

ewe da man. Grrrrrrrr

or woman of course. yay

warton
    Free Member

i did 15 in my test, thast was after a run and situps, so I’m starting column 3 tonight. I like the idea of it, but I have a feeling I’ll get bored very quickly.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go, I wasn’t sure what they meant by ‘consecuitive’, is that without stopping or just how many you can do without collapsing? 19 and 35 respectively. No matter, I’ll assume 20 and start from that point.

oh, and it’s not for your Biceps. Pecs and Triceps.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m just hoping that I’ll get to where my arm warmers don’t fall down on bumpy descents 😉

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I’ll do some tonight and update you all… I hope to manage 5.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Wednesday, here comes my biceps!

triceps. 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Whichever, it hurst as **** tonight 🙁

shoefiti
    Free Member

“”Whichever, it hurst as **** tonight””

damn right – i feel like someones hit me in the tits with a cricket bat – if you want to quit with me hairychested i will think you more the man for it.

soobalias
    Free Member

managed 21 on monday but strangly that was after a press up/crunch session on sunday (out of the blue) so i hurt a bit and didnt start the rest of the plan.

off properly tonight, week three column two.

ouch.

i predict i will ‘forget’ within a fortnight 🙁

EdwardH

I started this a few weeks ago, got to week three and was plodding along nicely until my 2 1/2 year old decided to jump on me from the sofa in mid push.

My bloomin back is killing me now…..

Will get back to it once the pain goes

mwleeds

I could be wrong but just doing (lots of) press-ups is probably a bad idea. If you get too strong in one muscle group (i.e. triceps) without strengthening your biceps it’s easy to injure yourself. Climbers are notoriously bad at getting sronger biceps than triceps which leads to elbow injuries (myself included – hence I can’t do many press-ups but can do plenty of pull-ups). I’ve no idea how many press-ups would be too many (possibly way more than 100), but attempting to get stronger in a more balanced way has to be better.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

yay.. managed 15 but the last 5 were a killer!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve noticed emptying several bottles of beer helps with pain. The more beer, the les pain. Waitress!!!!
    And I ain’t quitting, I is da man (as they say in Staines).

Sancho
    Free Member

I find that digging dirt ramps ans making bike parks is the best activity for building all round strength, try moving rocks around to make a skills park and then moving tons of soil by wheelbarrow/shovel and you wont worry about gyms, or press ups, but you will develop muscle strength where you need it and you will develop a bike park that you can ride, check out singletraction and get digging, and make a contribution to your local trails instead of posing in a gym 🙂
    http://www.singletraction.org.uk/gallerypage.php?cpmpid=-910

mrchrispy

15, may have pushed a few more if i was made of stronger stuff but hey-ho.
    i’m game, Ill go for the 100 but my real target is to do em with my kids sat on my back like my dad used to do with me. he was a real man where as i drive a keyboard for a living.

Rich
    Free Member

I started on my first set tonight, week 3 column 1.

Still ached from yesterday but couldn’t wait.

Done the set, plus 7 at the end.

Travis

100 in a minute?? isn’t that akin to headbanging at a Heavy Metal Concert?

Might have a go myself, but in a slow controlled manner

I_did_dab
    Free Member

tomzo – not proper, says who? Full 90 degrees at the elbow and fully locked out FYI.
    Headbanging? – tick.

Oh to be young again…

AlasdairMc

I managed 32 there to failure, I’m tempted to start this program as it’s a reasonably quick way to build push/pull strength when combined with the pull-up/dead hang routine I (occasionally) do on my fingerboard

Keva
    Free Member

did 48 last night. Well, 47 and a half if I’m honest, had to put my knees on the floor for the last one as I was stuck halfway up for a few seconds.

Kev

Keva
    Free Member

whilst looking for the non stop press ups world record which is about 10,000 btw I found this…

the Hindu Press up.. must be a better upper body work out :

<http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/images/various/HinduPU.gif?q=HinduPU.gif&gt;

Kev

hugorune

Just read through the thread and I’m not convinced doing 100+ press-ups really quickly is a very good idea in terms of strength gains. It will give you quite a good cardio workout but if you actually want to get a bit stronger you need to do them quite slowly concentrating on form and keeping your core stable.
    Don’t set a target – just keep going to failure. It’s a mistake a lot of gym novices make, they do 10 reps and finish even if they could have done 15. Slow down and press-up in a controlled manner is the best way to develop a strong core and strengthen chest, triceps and back bits.
    And yes you want to be doing some pull-ups as well to prevent a muscle imbalance.

MTT
    Free Member

Anyone who who can do 100 push-ps needs to try Royal marine push-ups (no cheating); Hands narrow under shoulders (not wide), arms by sides (not pointing outwards), one rep every three seconds, Chest touches floor, arms straight at the top, always look forward. Let see how many of those you can do!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Fit Club: the hundred push ups training program’ is closed to new replies.