• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fishing wires from switch drops
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’m thinking remove the switch – connect existing wire to the new wire securely (using inline connectors and tape) and then pull from above.

I’m expecting this won’t work for all of them, but hoping it will do a few and save on the redecorating and damage to the ceiling which has curved rendering.

Any other tips/ideas here for the best way to do this without having to rechase the walls?

jimdubleyou

Any other tips/ideas here for the best way to do this without having to rechase the walls?

Hope there is actual conduit rather than just being plastered over…

DT78
    Free Member

I think I have a mixture but won’t be able to tell till I try.

The ‘wiggle’ test seems to be positive so I am hoping I can pull things through, if not then it will be chasing and replacing with conduit

scoob67
    Free Member

Don’t use connectors as these will snag. Overlap and use tape and if pulling more than one, keep them staggered. If tight, fairy liquid is as good a lube as any.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did mine that way.

Worked well.

Fish tape works well for those you don’t get.

I only chased and conduited ones were I was moving the switch

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t use connectors as these will snag. Overlap and use tape and if pulling more than one, keep them staggered.

Not sure I quite understand? Do you mean just tape the two strands of wire together? Wouldn’t the fact that they are offset and therefore slightly wider mean they are more likely to get caught that using inline connectors?

I was thinking of using these:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-10/42201?tc=GT4&ds_rl=1248181&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYzyqNH11wIVFhMbCh3c_AilEAQYASABEgJhqvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM7_06rR9dcCFSmn7QodeiEBFA

Taped over to avoid snagging

trail_rat
    Free Member

what i did was i stripped the insulation off and taped the wires inside together offset. end result was nothing overlapping the original outside diameter of the insulation.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Now this I know about, years of doing electrical re-wires in houses.
    What we used to do was strip the insulation from one of the conductors on both cables.
    Form a loop by folding the conductor over then twisting it around itself, so you end up with something like the eye of a needle.
    Thread the other stripped conductor through the eye, fold it back on itself and twist the copper around. You will end up with something vaguely resembling a chain link.
    Crimp both the eyes with pliers and apply some insulating tape.
    Good luck!

neilnevill
    Free Member

What giant scum said worked for me. Bit of fairy on any tight ones. I had a couple where I was getting a couple of cables down and they were harder. If the conduit you have is the older metal tube stuff it helps to have someone feed the wire in straight and make sure the new cable doesn’t scrape past a sharp edge. Remember you may be able to use 1mm twin and earth in places, it’s much smaller overall than 1.5mm and rated for lighting. It just isn’t so good for long lengths (voltage drop might then come into it)
    Best of luck

DT78
    Free Member

Great tips thanks all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fishing wires from switch drops’ is closed to new replies.