• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fishing. What the what now?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi , a relative wants to start fishing in lakes here in Sweden. What do they need? 🙂 a fishing rod I presume, line… ? Hooks ? What else ? I have no idea so go easy on me .

Edit wrong forum sorry

andytherocketeer

A fishing permit (fiskekort), else it’s poaching, not fishing.

Not fished there (or anywhere actually) for years, but I don’t recall it costing all that much.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes thanks that is on the list. I meant more equipment, really have no clue

dooosuk
    Free Member

Depends what type of fishing they want to do, but if you’re really starting at basics:

floats
    weights
    bait box(s)
    tackle box
    reel
    rod rest
    etc.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trout char and pike are apparently plentiful in the big lake nearby , if that helps? Sitting by the side of the lake, listening to radio , probably drinking and slowly getting bored

Pigface
    Free Member

A boat

martinhutch

Shimano, obvs. 😀

Depends what they’re planning on fishing for, and whether it’s just an afternoon having a laff or not.

If it’s the latter, rod, reel, line (fairly light) small hooks, a few floats, some maggots. Oh, and a net for bringing them in, if you’re optimistic.

Plus a chair, rod stand, hat, midge repellent, grumpy expression.

GrahamS

Missing from the lists above:

A priest (i.e. a short weighted bar or similar to despatch them with).
    A bag to carry the dead fish home in (not a poly bag with holes in it!)
    Midge repellent.
    Beer

khani
    Free Member

from what I’ve seen, as much real tree camo as you wear, fish must have eyes like shit house rats,
    Or the local SAS unit are avid anglers..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What size bag?

GrahamS

You should probably find out if they intend to coarse fish (i.e. using bait and staring at a float for hours) or fly fish (i.e. proper fishing)

ferrals
    Free Member

Sweden good for fly fishing I think?

bit more of an initial learning curve but a lot more fun IMO

probably best go to a local tackle shop

andytherocketeer

Pretty much any fishing shop vaguely near any touristy destination by a lake will probably do rental. That’s what I did. Enough kit for a day on a lake, including the permit, for not that much SEK.

Think I got rod, reel, line, etc. handful of spinners/spoons and headed out.

Was not as successful as in French Guiana though, where you just cut a branch off a tree with a machete, tie some line and a baited hook to one end and dangle it in the river, and watch dinner come and nibble.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Google “course fishing” and start shopping… Daiwa and Shimano (obvs) kit is good as is Shakespeare. If you fancy it and have the patience then “fly fishing” is also available but takes practice. My Daughter snagged an enormous pike out there a few years back.

Moses

That’s coarse fishing. They can probably buy a basic kit from a garage or the local equivalent of Wilco for less than £20. My family fished in Swedish lakes (with no licence) some years ago. we only caught small stuff say 6″ long, but they were gutted then popped in a smoker for 5 mins and came out delicious. The kids were very happy.

darrell
    Free Member

filleting knife

pliers for pulling the hooks out

Drac

I’m glad I read the title twice. 😯

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What do they need?

Advice- which tends to be freely available from angling shops.
    I bought a second hand rod from a local shop and one of the staff took me to a nearby park and gave me half hour tuition on casting not to mention a whole load of where to go and what not to do advice.

crankboy
    Free Member

for sitting drinking beer long rod ,reel float and baited hook with weights to take the hook down and right and nearly sink the float so the fish does not sense resistance from the float when it takes the bait,
    for catching loads of fish a pole rather than a rod enables you to quietly and accurately place the float and bait rather than casting,
    for catching big fish while drinking and if short sighted a big weight no float possibly a swim feeder , some way of detecting a bite such as a swing tip a bit of stick on the line by the real or hold it , something to rest your rod on while you snooze
    for keeping interested and warm spinning with short whipy rod spinners spoons or plugs basically imitation small fish with hooks on cast out reel in slowly and erratically pretending to be a sick fish hook the cannibal psycho that tries to eat your lure.
    wasted teenage years before i discovered more geeky hobbies. I had most success spinning but remember not to wind in faster out of excitement if you see a big perch trying to get your lure.

PMK2060

I have always enjoyed spinning on small rivers for pike and perch. You can cover lots of ground and you are not sat on your arse all day.

I commute along a stretch of river to work and hardly ever see a fisherman. I think the trend now is to fish overstocked carp ponds (the anglers equivalent of hook a duck).

johndoh
    Free Member

I reckon with trout and pike in there, spinning would be his best bet – a lightish rig with small lure will attract both.

He probably wants a long reach degouger in case he gets any pike though – their teeth can be a bit bitey.

onandon
    Free Member

Sorry, I think I misread the title.

Nico
    Free Member

Maggots? Floats? Small hooks? In Sweden. What were they thinking.

You’ll be needing a short spinning rod and some really weird looking and even weirder named spinning lures. And a hat and pipe, if my Abu catalogue from the early 60s is anything to go by.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fishing. What the what now?’ is closed to new replies.