Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • First world solution please – making reasonable coffee in an office environment
  • IHN

What are my options for making a reasonable* cup of coffee in an office? Being the jetsetting, travel light, move fast kinda guy I am**, I need something that will fit in my laptop bag, low in faff levels and doesn’t get too messy (as I have limited washing up/drying facilities).

I have access to hot water and mugs. Any ideas?

* as in decent strongish filter-ish quality, not premium barista level.
    ** i.e. I’m a contractor, so often don’t even get a desk and have to make do with sitting in reception/on any vacant desk/on the floor.

Spud

Aeropress, get the kit that comes in a nice little bag and add good coffee!

ajantom

Beaten to it…..Aeropress all the way. Good bit of kit.

DrJ

Yeah – Aeropress is the best option as it involves least mess.

nickc

Aeropress.

It’s pretty much the best solution for this type of issue. It comes in it’s own bag, it’s reasonably fuss free, and mess free, you can keep a few filters and I have an old jam jar with pre-ground in it.

All very portable

Cougar

Aeropress, +n.

matt_outandabout

I have a GSI Cafetiere and cup, bought to use camping and paddling, but is small enough to pop into a bag and carry with me. It has been allowed on as my hand luggage as well..

Alternatvely, lots of all in one mug and cafetiere’s /Javapress things out there:

IHN

What about an Aeropress? 😉

edit – ah, thanls Matt, I was thinking about a cafetiere mug kinda thing. I’ve had one before but it was a bit rubbish, I’ll have a look at the one you’ve got.

br
    Free Member

tbh I just use Azera Americano, decent enough (for a mainly tea drinker)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Well, Aeropress is the answer. Easy as a cafetiere but with a better filter, easier clean up and easy to make a stronger coffee if that is what you want.

Looks a bit like this

mechanicaldope

There’s a device called an aeropress. Not sure you will have heard of it?

onewheelgood

Bodum Travel Press – available in plastic or stainless steel variants

Rubber_Buccaneer

and a tip for when you get your Aeropress, make sure your mug is wide enough at the top to sit the Aeropress on. Some mugs are just that tiny bit too small

dmck16
    Free Member

+1 for Aeropress, funnily enough…

It gets used not just in the house but also on camping trips. Great wee gadget.

Sandwich

A mug to go with that aero press based on the OP?

ferrals
    Free Member

b r – Member

tbh I just use Azera Americano, decent enough

Likewise, does the trick for work and an early coffee at home when I dont have time to use the machine

Northwind

See if you can find an instant you like. I’ve ended up with tesco’s finest costa rican, unexpectedly, I’d rather drink it than most proper coffee.

matt_outandabout

I was impressed last week how long the Bodum things kept coffee warm – brew as we left camp was still warm to drink at lunchtime. It was stuffed down side of airbag that would have helped a bit with insulation.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/MBBpEv]River Spey Canoe Descent[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

HansRey

how about an aeropress?

Or take a thermos to work?

ElShalimo

Lots of all in one mug and cafetiere’s /Javapress things out there:

I’ve got one of these GSI Javapress things. It’s very good and the neoprene sleeve keeps it warm for a quite a long time, especially with the lid on. It’s easy to clean too

reluctantlondoner

My Aeropress has been gathering dust in the cupboard as it its altogether too much faff since discovering the V60. It’s not a Volvo, but a super way to make great coffee as long as you as use good coffee. And cheaper than an Aeropress too.

Hario V60 Coffee Drippers

Boom!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Aeropress +another

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘First world solution please – making reasonable coffee in an office environment’ is closed to new replies.