Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • first world problems, seatpost bolts top down
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’ve replaced a saddle (that had the slit/gap down the middle), but i’ve realised after buying the new saddle (fabric scoop) has no gap and hence i cannot screw/tighten the front bolt (which faces down) , the rear bolt is tightened from below, and so the saddle is fixed, but possibly not at a great angle,

has anyone overcome the issue of tightening the front bolt,

do i;
    i) buy a new saddle,
    ii) buy a new post; or;
    iii) get an old 5mm allen key and cut the short end down to 1cm in length and then tighten it.

i tried a bit and a lock grip plier but no room to move.

stevied
    Free Member

What seatpost is it?
    Seems like a really rubbish design if you can’t tighten the bolt without a slot in the saddle.

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve had several seatpost/saddle combos like this, i cut down an allen key, it took two minutes

otsdr
    Free Member

I think this design of seatpost has some knurling on the hidden bolthead and you are supposed to do that by hand first, with the other bolt undone. Once you get to the final position, you tighten the second bolt.
    It takes a bit of fiddling to get the correct saddle position.

This is the style I’m referring to (notice the other bolt has both a knurled outer and an Allen head):

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

is a specialized sport alloy 2 bolt 27.2
    looks like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-rsx-02-seatpost-2014/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360629066&kpid=5360629066&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csOEWrRc8X_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789502%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360629066uk

thanks otsdr thats what i’ve managed so far, postion looks ok, till i get chance cut an allen key down
    and joB i’ll do exactly that, cheers

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

otsdr, plain bolt unfortunately, but your picture makes sense better bolt design

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

If it’s a black fabric scoop I’d be interested

coatesy
    Free Member

slacken the rear bolt, and use the thumbwheel at the front to adjust before tightening up at the rear, if the thunbwheel’s tight, there’s usually two holes that you can lever on wih a 2.5mm hex key.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘first world problems, seatpost bolts top down’ is closed to new replies.